Photo on Naturalization Certificate

dhlunar

Registered Users (C)
I take it this question has been asked before.

The instructions for the N-400 said to include two passport size photos with the application and to write in pencil your name and A number on the back. However, I also hear that pictures are taken at ASC at the fingerprint appointment.

So, my question is which picture is used on the Naturalization Certificate (ASC or the passport pictures with the N-400)?

For naturalisation now, I think they might have started taking photos at the ASC, but when I went through it in 2010, no photo was taken. They used the ones I sent in.

You can change you photos during the interview.
I didn't like the photos I sent with N-400, so I asked the IO to replace them with my new photos.
I just signed in the back of the photos, and my USC certificate has a new photo on it.

I found the answer to my question on the N-400 information page on the USCIS website.

Notice: Individuals who file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and later appear at the Application Support Center (ASC) for biometric capturing are required to submit to a photograph and signature process. If USCIS determines you are eligible for naturalization, this photograph taken at the ASC may be digitally placed on your Certificate of Naturalization. Therefore, USCIS recommends that on the day of your ASC appointment, you dress in clothing that is acceptable for display on your Certificate of Naturalization. USCIS will not reject a photograph for use on your Certificate of Naturalization or issue a replacement certificate based solely upon your desire to modify the photograph shown on your certificate.

I take it this question has been asked before.

The instructions for the N-400 said to include two passport size photos with the application and to write in pencil your name and A number on the back. However, I also hear that pictures are taken at ASC at the fingerprint appointment.

So, my question is which picture is used on the Naturalization Certificate (ASC or the passport pictures with the N-400)?

I naturalized almost two years ago at the Raleigh-Durham office. The digital photo that was taken at the fingerprint appointment was used on my certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same is here, I was naturalized in October 2012, photo on the certificate is from the ASC appointment.

Have a great day!!
LL

Thanks for all the responses. I asked because my wife didn't like her passport size pictures that she sent in with her application. I also remembered that although we submitted passport pictures per the instructions of the I-485 when she first became a resident they used the picture that was taken at ASC. Oddly, the I-751 application didn't ask for passport size picture when we filed it a year ago and her picture was taken at ASC and that was the one that was used.

I suspect at some point in the future USCIS will not require passport size pictures to be sent in with applications that require the applicant to appear at ASC.