Permanent Resident Registered To Vote But DID NOT, Will I be Denied Citizenship?

gaston

As I was looking through the n400 application, it had a question about whether someone had registered to vote and if yes explain. I immediately remembered an incident back in 2012 when a volunteer at my school asked for my information so that I could register to vote. I gave her my information and I think I probably signed a sheet. I told her that I wasn't a citizen and she said that is not a problem if it is a problem the system won't issue me a registration card. A few days later I received a voter registration card in the mail and I didn't understand why they still issued me a registration card even though I wasn't a citizen. I threw the card in the trash can and never voted.

When I saw the question about whether or not the applicant had ever registered to vote on the application, I looked up the topic online and it seemed like it was a big issue. I went to this site https://www.ncsbe.gov/VoterLookup.aspx and clicked on show my voter information and entered in my first and last name and my date of birth then all the information printed on the screen stating that i'm registered to vote and my status is active. That is why I became very concerned and started looking for help. I am an outstanding resident, have no trouble with the law-- not even a parking ticket. I'm really, really concerned about this and would appreciate all the help I can get from you. Will I be denied citizenship because of this???

Do you know if the jurisdiction where you live allows permanent residents to vote in local elections? If they allow LPRs to vote, that registration won't be a problem, although for the interview you may have to bring proof that the location actually allows LPRs to vote.

Otherwise, you will need to deregister yourself, and get a letter from the state confirming your deregistration and the fact that you didn't vote. That may not be enough; you may still be denied naturalization if you apply in the near future because your registration was in the past 5 years.

Yup! Jacko is right!

I just had my interview today and I was asked if I ever claimed to be a citizen, did I register to vote and did I vote. So I think you should settle this matter before your interview so you won't have any issues. Good luck!

Do you know what the form says, and does it say on it that you're a U.S. citizen?

This is why you shouldn't sign forms without carefully reading what they say. I mean, what if on the form it says you owe them a million dollars? or that you swear that you're a child molester? If you won't easily sign those, why would you carelessly sign something that says you're a U.S. citizen when you're not?

Ok so this reminds me of a question. What if someone clicked or checked off us citizen box on a form like I - 9 but never did it with bad intent. They had authorization to work in the us just clicked wrong box. Or someone put them down as citizen on bank account or loan. Person never noticed or it happened years ago and person does not remember went to interview and had no idea so they answer no to claiming. Would they be in trouble?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I was looking through the n400 application, it had a question about whether someone had registered to vote and if yes explain. I immediately remembered an incident back in 2012 when a volunteer at my school asked for my information so that I could register to vote. I gave her my information and I think I probably signed a sheet. I told her that I wasn't a citizen and she said that is not a problem if it is a problem the system won't issue me a registration card. A few days later I received a voter registration card in the mail and I didn't understand why they still issued me a registration card even though I wasn't a citizen. I threw the card in the trash can and never voted.

When I saw the question about whether or not the applicant had ever registered to vote on the application, I looked up the topic online and it seemed like it was a big issue. I went to this site and clicked on show my voter information and entered in my first and last name and my date of birth then all the information printed on the screen stating that i'm registered to vote and my status is active. That is why I became very concerned and started looking for help. I am an outstanding resident, have no trouble with the law-- not even a parking ticket. I'm really, really concerned about this and would appreciate all the help I can get from you. Will I be denied citizenship because of this???

Hi Gaston. How did your case go? Im in the exact same situation as you. I registered to vote but never voted just for extra credits on one of my subjects and the lady that was taking my application told me that being a citizen and a resident would be the same thing. How silly was i to believe her.

The same thing happened to me. I registered to vote in 2011 thinking I was able to as a GC holder. Along with my n400 application I sent Proof of my registration, proof I unregistered, and a letter explaining what happened (happened at local DMV ). Last Friday on the 23rd I had my interview. Maybe I got lucky but my IO was extremely nice, She said it happens alot. She looked at the additional documents and then approved me for Naturilization. I received my oath letter as I left the office and just had my ceremony 2 days ago. What a relief!

The same thing happened to me. I registered to vote in 2011 thinking I was able to as a GC holder. Along with my n400 application I sent Proof of my registration, proof I unregistered, and a letter explaining what happened (happened at local DMV ). Last Friday on the 23rd I had my interview. Maybe I got lucky but my IO was extremely nice, She said it happens alot. She looked at the additional documents and then approved me for Naturilization. I received my oath letter as I left the office and just had my ceremony 2 days ago. What a relief!
I was in the same boat.
Got approved. Now a citizen