Permanent Resident Card and US Citizenship

dkgusdl28

My permanent resident card was issued when I was young and I didn't realize that I had to get it renewed.
(It says you need to get it renewed if: your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday)
I have filed my application for my citizenship and is wondering if this is going to be a problem.
My permanent resident card itself doesn't expire until 2015 but because I had gotten it before I was 14, I guess I have to renew it.
But however I recently got my fingerprint notice for my citizenship and it says to bring my permanent resident card, so is this going to be a problem?
Was I suppose to renew my permanent resident card first then file for citizenship? because the price for renewing the card is $450, almost as much as the citizenship paper filing fee..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. I think you can get away with not renewing it. You definitely won't have a problem when you go for fingerprinting. I also don't think your interviewer will notice (please correct me if I'm wrong if you have experience to the contrary).

If this information is still right, USCIS is saying : "If you apply for naturalization less than 6 months before the expiration date of your Permanent Resident Card, or you do not apply for naturalization until your card has already expired, you must renew your card."

Then you are screwed.

There's no point in renewing it now. Apply for citizenship and don't worry about it. They're not going to deny your citizenship because of it.

I am quite surprised people do not read OP and give comments. In his post dkgusdl28 clearly said his GC does not expire till 2015. Tazmania's comments have no relevance.

I never expected Jackolantern to miss out OP has got his FP notice and thus he has filed for citizenship.

DK , you should have no fear, if you meet all other requirements and you would be approved.

I am quite surprised people do not read OP and give comments. In his post dkgusdl28 clearly said his GC does not expire till 2015. Tazmania's comments have no relevance.

The TO clearly stated that his GC technically is not valid anymore even if it is showing exp. date of 2015.

The TO clearly stated that his GC technically is not valid anymore even if it is showing exp. date of 2015.

As a practical matter, the renew-at-14 requirement is not really enforced. People still travel with it after not renewing at 14 and have no problem, except for the rare occurrence where the border officer tells the individual to renew it.

At this point, the OP should just proceed through the naturalization process with the existing card, renewing it only in the unlikely event that USCIS says it must be renewed in order to complete naturalization process.

At this point, the OP should just proceed through the naturalization process with the existing card, renewing it only in the unlikely event that USCIS says it must be renewed in order to complete naturalization process.
I agree.