Pending J-1 Waiver, "Sponsor Views"

Greta B.

Registered Users (C)
I hope you can help me with a question regarding the J-1 waiver. I have a pending case with the State Dept. based on No Objection , and they have received all the documents including the No Objection Statement.

However they have sent a request for "sponsor views" on July 6 and they are still waiting to receive that. This puts everything on hold, I have applied in February and still waiting. I do not know how long can a sponsor take to respond and give their view?

If you have any information about how long this would take them please let me know. If there is anybody out there, and I am inclined to believe that there is, who can tell me how long it took their sponsor to respond, at least I can have an approximate idea as to what to expect in terms of how long I will be waiting like this. So please, let me know
I appreciate the information

Sponsor Views

Greta, “Sponsor Views” stage takes from one week to several months. It took about two months in my case to get answer from the US Government Agency (my sponsor was NSF, National Science Foundation). However, NSF sent reply to DoS only after my email in which I ask NSF to speed up their response to DoS. After positive response from NSF, DoS issued a favorable recommendation in one day! So, I recommend you connect to your sponsor. You can find list of the US Government Agencies and POC (person of contact) at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1293.html. Good Luck!

Sponsor Views

Greta, it is extremely important to be polite in this matter and use appropriate ‘language’. I didn’t require my sponsor ‘to speed up’ process directly. I wrote a letter to NSF (by email) where I informed that DoS sent a request about ‘sponsor views’ two months ago. So, I first ask “Did they get this request?” second I ask “How long does this take to consider my case?” Also I informed that my visa is expired in four months so time frames are important for me. They understood everything and issued a paper in one week. Good luck in this matter.

Sponsor Views are in

Streamflow,
Ironically, before writing to my sponsor and inquiring about whether they had sent the views or not, I checked my status online one more time, and observed that they have received the sponsor views on September 19.

I am not very hopeful about this, but I could not just do nothing. My sponsor has very likely sent a negative opinion. I hardly heard anyone who came with a Fulbright scholarship get a waiver.

But as I said before I had to try and do everything in my power.

Thank you for the information. We will see now what happens.

Sponsor Views

Hi Greta,

I am in a very similar situation as yours. I was a Fulbright too.
I applied for the waiver and now I am waiting for the Sponsor Views.
How was the outcome in your case? Any comments?
Thanks,
Luis

Outcome still unknown

Hi Luis,

According to the State Department's website they have just sent their recommendation to the USCIS last week. Since this has been very recent, I do not have a copy of their recommendation. I am not very hopeful though, I am guessing that Fulbright does not like to set precedence and they rarely give favorable opinions. I am also guessing that the State Department would rarely go against the sponsor's recommendation.

I will see what happens. There is one thing for sure, and that is this whole process has been a very exhausting and draining process.

Good luck to you with your case

final outcome

Greta,

Please let us know how things develop in the end. The "sponsor views" has been received during the week of Sep 26th in my hardship waiver case (USIA sponsored), but still there is no outcome. It seems that it could be there any day now. I'm tired of waiting, as not to fall out of status, I had to move away from my expecting wife to Canada, and it has been four months now of checking the online stutus and counting every day. And now, according to you, the DOS doesn't post their decision even after it has been sent to the USCIS. That means more pain for me. Oh well, at least the end is near, and I'm happy for that. I can't imagine going back seven months ago, and doing this all over again.

Heartbroken

Hi Everyone,
unfortunately I was right for not being so optimistic about Fulbright's sponsor views. I just got the copy of the State Dept.'s recommendation.

It took the State Department to send an unfavorable recommendation only two and a half weeks after they received the sponsor views. They must have been waiting with the "denied" letter as a formality all this time. I do not blame the State Dept. though, I am pretty sure that Fulbright gave a negative opinion.

I am in a situation where I could have applied, and still apply, for an other waiver based on Persecution however I was afraid to put my parents, who are back home in my country, in danger with this application.

I do not want to be too cynical but at this point I am not even sure whether these people are taking anything seriously when deciding on people's future or going to even consider whether I would be persecuted or not; because apparently when you are a Fulbright scholar, it is almost like an automatic rejection...I feel very heartbroken. I will have to leave my husband here and go back to a country where my future is unknown.

I cannot tell you how miserable today has been. I sincerely wish to all of you outhere that your cases have better outcomes and you stay united with your families.

Good luck everyone

I am so sorry... I cried when I got my waiver. I can't imagine what would happen if I didn't...

Greta,

Sorry to hear about your case decision. One thing I would advise against is to separate with your family while fullfilling the waiver, if that's a case. I got separated from my family only for four months now while awaiting the hardship waiver outcome in Canada, and it feels like a hell. Looking back now, I'm not sure at all if I would have gone the same way of seeking the waiver.

family and separation

Yes, it kills me to even think about what I will have to do at the end of January but I do not have any other option. I hope that you receive good news regarding your hardship waiver soon and reunite.

Not that it is any better but at least you are in Canada, I will have to cross the Atlantic and will be stuck there in a hostile environment for 2 years. I cannot take with me my American citizen husband, I wish I could...

Again I sincerely wish that you get some good news very soon. I am very frustrated with the authorities who reviewed (not so carefully) my case, but at least if I hear other people's cases having a favorable results, then I can be happy for them.

Good luck