Pending Green Card application to affect F1 Visa application?

popcorntime

Hi,

I'm an Indian citizen, who has secured an offer at an American university, and have received my I-20. However, I do have a pending green card application, filed in 2008 by my parents, which I just found out about. My question is, will this application affect my F-1 visa eligibility, and whether I should withdraw it. If so, how should I go about doing that?

An F1 is unlikely to be approved with a pending IV petition. F1 requires non-immigrant intent, whereas the green card application demonstrates the opposite. Exactly what visa category are you petitioned under?

It is odd to have just found out; did you guys not have a family talk about your student intent prior to initiating the i20 process?

Thanks for the reply. All of us had actually forgotten about it, and only found out recently when we went through some old documents and found those papers. We're petitioned under EB-2.

At the interview, could I say that my parents had applied for me as a child, and that I no longer have that intent? It's been about 9 years since we moved back to India.

Also, in these 9 years, I've traveled on a B-1 visa for short term visits. This visa was filed for and approved in 2011, after the green card petition. Again, this was applied for while I was a child.

You have to disclose the immigrant petition on the ds160 and be truthful about intent at any interview. You are the only one privy to your intent, not anyone on this forum.

I will definitely disclose it, I do not have immigrant intent. How would I go about cancelling the green card petition?

Well, the question is not about “intent”, it is whether anyone has petitioned for you.
(I too had a situation in the past where a parent petitioned for me without telling me... it does happen. )
The bigger issue could be that the question would have been incorrectly answered on the B visa application?