PCC Question - When and How?

execfromindia

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks:

I am asking a few questions that have probably been beaten to death in this forum in the past, but my search could not get me anything I could directly relate to my case, so here it is.

Situation:
a. I-140 applied in March 2005, approved in September 2005.
b. Lawyer received fee bill in October 2005, paid.
c. Lawyer received Packet (DS-230?) today.
d. Wife and kid were in the US from March 2003 to June 2005, now are in India. Plan is that they will stay there till we get a CP interview date, or Setember 2006, whichever is earlier.

Questions:
1. At what stage do I need the PCC? Lawyer says that it is generally better to submit one with this set, and then take another (if interview date is comes after six months) one for the interview.
2. How do I get the PCC for my wife? From the passport office in India? Since her passport is with her, I obviously cannot get it from the Indian Consulate in NY. What is the best course of action in this case?

Thanx in advance for all your advise.

Best Regards
EFI.

Apply for PCC for yourself after your fee check is sent to the NVC. It takes approx 30-40 days for the Indian Consulate to issue the PCC if your passport was issued from India or about 2 weeks if it was issued in US.

I am not sure how much time it takes these days for the consulate to schedule appointments but this would be safe enough.

The interview date should be within 6 months from the date of the PCC.

Apply PCC for your wife and kid in India now itself as it may take more time in India to obtain.

There is NO need to send PCC to NVC, atleast I did not send and I havent come across any such cases either. IF the NVC issues an RFE asking for the PCC, for any reason, then ofcourse you do not have any choice.

Pcc

From what I know, PCC is not required as part of documents sent to NVC. Also, pcc must be present from both the district police station and the local area passport office. You can look into the instructions that came with packet 3.

By the way, anyone knows where the district police station for mumbai is where I can get this certificate ???? Also, for muslims they want marriage certificate from govt. appointed Chief Kazi. I would appreciate it if someone has info how to get this certificate and can mail me at aniskasmani@yahoo.com.

Thanks in adavance.

Best Regards,
Anis

has one been ever able to reach the phones at the Chicago consulate? no one EVER EVER picks up the phone there (at least from 2005)..and i have had other people telling me the same..is there an outlet for complaints against these people?

PCC is not required for Packet 3

GCChaahiye said:
There is NO need to send PCC to NVC, atleast I did not send and I havent come across any such cases either. IF the NVC issues an RFE asking for the PCC, for any reason, then ofcourse you do not have any choice.

Packet 3 does not need PCC to be attached. Your attorney can certify that the applicant is in the process of all the necessary documents and they will be ready by the interview time. From my experience, this is good enough. But, apply for PCC in the meantime.

Best of luck. Also, there is a view that PCC is valid for one year.

Try their direct line and then ask them for the appropriate extension and if they give the same extension as on the website tell them you have not been able to reach them and they will assist you to talk to them.

puhrince said:
has one been ever able to reach the phones at the Chicago consulate? no one EVER EVER picks up the phone there (at least from 2005)..and i have had other people telling me the same..is there an outlet for complaints against these people?

well no one picks up the direct line too..! i found out (from another thread in the forums) that even their fax machine dosen't work and they have been requesting info for PCC from India by mailing them in 'bags'?!?! wonder if they are in stone age.

rrajendr said:
Try their direct line and then ask them for the appropriate extension and if they give the same extension as on the website tell them you have not been able to reach them and they will assist you to talk to them.