PCC from Indian consulate at Chicago

sabspin

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone have experience of getting their PCC from Indian Consulate at Chicago? I must say that they are really pathetic, I have been calling them since a week to find out status of my PCC(It has been more that 45 days since I applied) but no one ever answers their extensions(I am not lying). Even the receptionist does not answer the phone!!!
I finally got some one today and I got the typical Indian answer that it was not her job even though I tried to explain that the person concerned never answers the phone , I finally tried to call the Consul himself to tell him about the pathetic state of affairs but what do you know even he doesn't answer the phone, sorry for venting but this is frustrating, I really dont know what to do

was ur passport issued in chicago or india? if chicago, 45 days is way way too long..if india, i think its going to take a little more while..i have sent mine and my wife's passports recently too..wonder whats happening BUT !! one thing you are definitely right - no one ever ever picks up the phone - do u think we shud call the DC region and complain?

Our passports were issued in the US 2 years ago so they have to refer to India if it has been issued in the US within the past 5 years. They had told me earlier that it takes 45 days for them to get from India and if it doesn't come within 45 days the chicago consulate will issue it. BTW I finally spoke to some one at the consulate today and apparently the lady who takes of the PCC is on vacation and they asked me to call 1st week of March.

Well complaining is a good idea but I would wait for the PCC, knowing these ppl there could be repercussions.

i think u have it wrong - it takes 2-3 business days or 2 weeks if you include mailing time to issue the PCC if the passport was issued in US..it takes around 45 days if ur passport was issued from india...so if ur passport was issued in US, why should it take more than 45 days? or maybe i didn't understand what u said..?

so if the lady is on vacation, that means no one is going to work on ur PCC?? so nothing will happen for another month? thats ridiculous..didn't u mention that you have already waited 45 days? you should have pursued it further or rather you should call again and make them do it..there is no repercussion - its a consular service which they have to provide.

sabspin said:
Our passports were issued in the US 2 years ago so they have to refer to India if it has been issued in the US within the past 5 years. They had told me earlier that it takes 45 days for them to get from India and if it doesn't come within 45 days the chicago consulate will issue it. BTW I finally spoke to some one at the consulate today and apparently the lady who takes of the PCC is on vacation and they asked me to call 1st week of March.

My passport was renwed in the US 2 years ago so if the renwal passport has been issued in the US and it has been less than 5 years then they still have to check back to the Indian office which issued the first passport.This was what the consulate told me.

There is a lady filling in for the one on vacation but she told me that there were so many files and paperwork lying on the table she is not able to sort through them and find anything and if she found my PCC she would call me back(yeah like thats going to happen!!) or just to call back in March. She also went on about how the fax machines were not working at the passport office in India so they could not fax info for PCC but had to send it by bag(?) LOL

I will probably call back next week and check

passport renewal is the same thing as issuance of a new passport from US right? the old passport is attached to the new one...based on this info, there are tons of people whose passports were renewed less than 5 years back and who got their PCC's within 2 weeks..so unless I am missing something, what the consulate said is off track from what they say on their website(as least the Embassy one).

Files lying on the table? are they nuts? don't they organize it somewhere?

sabspin said:
My passport was renwed in the US 2 years ago so if the renwal passport has been issued in the US and it has been less than 5 years then they still have to check back to the Indian office which issued the first passport.This was what the consulate told me.

There is a lady filling in for the one on vacation but she told me that there were so many files and paperwork lying on the table she is not able to sort through them and find anything and if she found my PCC she would call me back(yeah like thats going to happen!!) or just to call back in March. She also went on about how the fax machines were not working at the passport office in India so they could not fax info for PCC but had to send it by bag(?) LOL

I will probably call back next week and check

Well I wish they were consistent, right now they asked me to send copies of passport with 20$ and once the clearance comes I have to send my passport with another 20$

so u hadn't sent ur passport at all? u just submitted ur application? i thought that was the requirement for a PCC...i submitted mine with $25($5 for mail back charge), and $45 for my wife(since her passport was issued in India).

so how did they let u know now that they u have send in copies and then passport? by phone?

yes this is what they asked me to submit intially, the passport copies,application and 20$ fee and once clearance comes from india they will ask for the passport and the remaining 20$ fee

so ur saying u called them to find out the procedure? I didn't find anything on the Chicago consulate site, so i went to the NY consulate where its said to mail the original passport with $20 fee..i assumed this would be the same procedure for all other consulates.

sabspin said:
yes this is what they asked me to submit intially, the passport copies,application and 20$ fee and once clearance comes from india they will ask for the passport and the remaining 20$ fee

I have an update fo ryou - i got my passports back today with a note stating that I send in the passports again when they get clearance, which takes at least 45 days. Also, I was asked to send $20 - i guess this is pretty much what you were referring to that if passport was issued in US has less than 5 years validity, they still will go check with India.
Final thing mentioned was - they mailed my passports back bcos consulate does not keep them for such a long period..
oh well,i guess i will go ahead and send my PR app anyway..can't wait for longer since these are the only docs missing.

At San Francisco Indian consulate, you need to send a copy of the passport and $20 fee for the PCC. This applies to passport that have been issued in India. They take about 4 weeks to do the check with the passport issuing authority in India. Once the results come in you need to send the original passport and $15 mailing charges. Then then issue a PCC letter and put an entry into the passport saying PCC for Canada has been issued on such and such date.

thanks for the info..but what about the situation for passports issued in US - almost everyone tells me it takes 2 weeks at most to issue PCC no matter what, but according to sabspin he was informed that since the passport was only 2 years old, they still had to revert back to india..?

I have a passport issued by the Indian consulate in San Francisco. I got my PCC same day. I personally went to the consulate. If you apply by mail, I think it takes about a week. My passport is valid for atleast another 6 years.

thanks for the update, I also have an update for you, I got a call from the Chicago consulate yesterday asking me to mail my passports for the PCC, they still haven't heard from the passport office in India so they are going to issue the PCC without it(so much for waiting for 2 months for the Indian office to respond), this only happend coz I pretty much called everyday and bugged the officer, so if you don't hear anything after 45 days call them coz they will not call otherwise.

WOW! thats unheard of! which office in India is this? also, who do u call and at what time? I never seem to get hold of them..

Bangalore office
the person who does PCC is at extension 227, If you are lucky she sometimes answers the phone betn 3 EST to 5 EST, good luck :)