Paying social security tax for previous years of employment

whatever4835

Registered Users (C)
I have a question that neither IRS nor SSA could answer definitely so I would welcome and appreciate any response from here.

I've started to work at my current company with a J1 visa. And since J1 holders are not subject to social security taxes, my company didn't pay any SS taxes (after following the proper procedure). Then my status changed to H1B and then permanent resident. And since H1B, my SS taxes have been payed as usual.

Now, I'd like to get the SS credits for the first year I worked with J1 visa. Is it possible to amend that year's taxes and make a post-term SS tax payment for that year? I can prove my employment and the W2 form that I have for that year. :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Now, I'd like to get the SS credits for the first year I worked with J1 visa. Is it possible to amend that year's taxes and make a post-term SS tax payment for that year?

Why on earth would you want to do this??? Take the money and put it into an IRA or a Roth instead, rather than flushing it down the SS toilet.

I want to do it so that I complete 40 credits soon and be eligible for retiring from US when the time comes. There's a good possibility that I may had back to my home country permanently.

I want to do it so that I complete 40 credits soon and be eligible for retiring from US when the time comes. There's a good possibility that I may had back to my home country permanently.

You cannot retroactively contribute. Either you were subject to (and eligible for) FICA, or not. But my original suggestion stands; just invest the money.