Passport renewal query...kindly advice

Samrkhurana

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends,

I am on H1B and have valid stamping on my passport till 31 Oct 2007. However my passport is expiring in Nov 2007...and hence I am planning to apply for renewal of my passport. I have a few quick questions and would really appreciate if sombody can help me out..

1) What is the process I need to follow for passport renewal? where to get the forms from? I am in Atlanta, Ga ...which consulate do I need to apply at? Is it advisable to do it in person rather than by mail?

2) since my H1B stamping is on the the passport that is due to expire in nov...would I have to get my new passport stamped for H1b visa...

3) I am planning to change jobs..and hence there would be a transfer of H1B...would it be wise to apply for renewal of passport rite now...or wait till my new H1B is received and then apply for the new passport?

Kindly advice...

Thanks

Sam

They will likely cancel and return your old pp and new pp will be issued. So no need to get a stamping on the new pp. I do not know the answer to other questions. Please let me know when you do get a new pp issued. I am curious about the following: If you were to apply now and get a new pp issued march'07, you have in effect lost the 6 months validity period on your old pp.
Samrkhurana said:
Hi friends,

I am on H1B and have valid stamping on my passport till 31 Oct 2007. However my passport is expiring in Nov 2007...and hence I am planning to apply for renewal of my passport. I have a few quick questions and would really appreciate if sombody can help me out..

1) What is the process I need to follow for passport renewal? where to get the forms from? I am in Atlanta, Ga ...which consulate do I need to apply at? Is it advisable to do it in person rather than by mail?

2) since my H1B stamping is on the the passport that is due to expire in nov...would I have to get my new passport stamped for H1b visa...

3) I am planning to change jobs..and hence there would be a transfer of H1B...would it be wise to apply for renewal of passport rite now...or wait till my new H1B is received and then apply for the new passport?

Kindly advice...

Thanks

Sam

Samrkhurana said:
Hi friends,

Google! Find the link to Indian Consulates in US. I am sure they have listed the details about which consulate serves what states/regions. If you apply in mail, be prepared to wait for a month or so before the passport is issued.

Some Indian consulates do passport/visa camps in big cities once every 2 months or so. Check out whether the Indian consulate that you fall under does anything like that. This option if available can be used if you don't want to send the renewal through mail.

If you get your new passport before the expiry of existing H1 Visa, you don't have to get it stamped again on the new passport. Instead carry both old and new passport together. In case if you travel, at the port of entry they will check the Visa on the old passport and the passport validity dates on the new one. Even better staple them together, so you don't mis-place either of them accidentally.

Do you know when you are changing your job? You have to know that time-line so you can work the rest around it. Also make sure to check the minimum Passport validity needed at the time of H1 transfer. Take this into consideration and plan for your Passport renewal and H1 transfer in the order that is required.