Passport renewal and asylum - please help

gtaid1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am currently in F1 status but I will apply for asylum next month. My passport will expire in 6 months. Should I renew my passport before applying for asylum?

if I apply for asylum will I need a valid passport for any paperwork or I can use expired passport?

Hi,

I am currently in F1 status but I will apply for asylum next month. My passport will expire in 6 months. Should I renew my passport before applying for asylum?

if I apply for asylum will I need a valid passport for any paperwork or I can use expired passport?

I could advise you to get a new passport before asylum most countries deny asylum applicants passports based on the fact they applied asylum in US ,

It will make your life easier if you travel abroad

OMG, PLEASE DONT BLOW SMOKE UP IN HIS @SS!!!!

You have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!! EMBASSIES HAVE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IDEA THAT YOU HAVE ASYLUM...THEY DONT EVEN ASK YOU THESE TYPE OF QUESTIONS!!!!!

YOU'VE BEEN A MEMBER SINCE AUG 3RD 2013! YOU SHOULD READ MORE TOPICS BEFORE SAYING THESE THINGS. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

I could advise you to get a new passport before asylum most countries deny asylum applicants passports based on the fact they applied asylum in US ,

It will make your life easier if you travel abroad

expired passport won't deport you. Everyone has right to request asylum. Even expired passport shows your identity so Asylum office knows who you are

many people come to USA by ship and when they arrive they don't have any documents, but still have right to request asylum.

For your Asylum case passport expiry date is not an issue at all, but if you want to travel back to your country while your asylum is pending (note this will result in denial of your asylum case) then you judge.

Hi,

A government being able to renew a citizen's passport means that the government you are from DOES support you and acknowledges the fact that you are under that government's protection (as it is usually written in many passports).

Usually governments that want to control the persecuted party DO NOT renew the person's passports or delay renewal in order to keep them in the country or make them return to their home country to renew, which is probably not what you are planning. If your persecuting party is someone else other than your government, then it should be totally normal to go ahead and renew your passport.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe that if your persecutor is your government and there is a clear reason (related to your persecution) why you would not be able to renew your passport, the Asylum Officer might find it normal if you have an expired passport. In fact, this particular situation may even strengthen your case and provide better proof that you are really being persecuted. Consult a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A government being able to renew a citizen's passport means that the government you are from DOES support you and acknowledges the fact that you are under that government's protection (as it is usually written in many passports).

Usually governments that want to control the persecuted party DO NOT renew the person's passports or delay renewal in order to keep them in the country or make them return to their home country to renew, which is probably not what you are planning. If your persecuting party is someone else other than your government, then it should be totally normal to go ahead and renew your passport.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe that if your persecutor is your government and there is a clear reason (related to your persecution) why you would not be able to renew your passport, the Asylum Officer might find it normal if you have an expired passport. In fact, this particular situation may even strengthen your case and provide better proof that you are really being persecuted. Consult a lawyer.

You can apply for asylum with expired passport

You have said it better than I said it , like I said not everyone has similar Asylum cases or is coming from a supportive country that has good diplomatic relations with other countries or coming from visa free regions

You can apply for a asylum on an expired passport and visa. The fact that your passport and visa have expired have no bearing on your ability to file for a asylum so long as you meet the 1 year deadline for affirmative asylum. However, you will need to renew your passport if you wish to travel after receiving your green card as an asylee .

In practise a valid passport is needed for visa purposes with pages for Visas - This is what i meant

On reality Asylum for most of us is more of life and death than even thinking of going near COP property OR association for safety reasons no luxury at all

Its been really tough for people of African Origin I personally know to have their passports renewed based renewed on the fact they are on bad terms with their COP

Last edited by a moderator:

You have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!! EMBASSIES HAVE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IDEA THAT YOU HAVE ASYLUM...THEY DONT EVEN ASK YOU THESE TYPE OF QUESTIONS!!!!!

YOU'VE BEEN A MEMBER SINCE AUG 3RD 2013! YOU SHOULD READ MORE TOPICS BEFORE SAYING THESE THINGS. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

Okay

Thank you all. of course I will not leave US after applying for asylum. my concern was mostly about my F1 status and I think that shouldn't be a problem either because I can claim that I am an asylum seeker and since our government is my persecutor I should not renew (or they will not renew) my passport.

I think @gandrud it was fair to post your privileged opinion, to say, But in 2018 time has proven otherwise.

I AGREE YOU on these topics, It also depends on individual's asylum case , if your case was against the government of your country or any entity associated with it , I was advised not get the passport . I was also advised generally not go on to apply/Renew for a passport from COP country regardless of your case if you want to keep your permanent residency in the US or be ready to explain in Naturalization process.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have question similar to this I have applied asylum in 2014 and still waiting for interview .But I want to go back now and my Indian passport is expired how can I renew that or is it not even needed If I take my application back ? Please guide.

Hello,
I have question similar to this I have applied asylum in 2014 and still waiting for interview .But I want to go back now and my Indian passport is expired how can I renew that or is it not even needed If I take my application back ? Please guide.
You dont need to do anything just renew your passport and go back you asylum application will be abandoned. Keep in mind you can not come back to the USA forever on nonimmigration visa