Passport near expire date, but 2nd FP just done, confused!

dvdhe

Registered Users (C)
My passport will expire at the beginning of 12/04, now only 4.5 months valid period of it. Although my I-485 case has not approved yet, I wonder whether it is wise to renew passport now or later since I just did my 2nd FP recently. A bunch of questions here:

(1) Whether you have to stamp passport before you can receive the plastic green card? i.e. whether passport stamp is a necessary step. I do not hope to delay any more.

(2) How much valid time for the passport is required for passport stamping? In my case, now I only have 4.5 months left.

(3) Since the passport renewal needs about 1-2 months to finish since I have to use mailing service, if during this period, I-485 get approved, what can I do? Wait till the passport renewed, mailed back and get stamped? Then how will I say to the HR in my company? Still use my EAD to work?

Your answers are welcomed! Thanks a lot!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi,

I think you have to have a year on your passport, I read that somewhere, and can't remember where. I went ahead and renewed mine. You might see if your country offers some type of expedited processing. It costs, but it would probably take less than two months.

As to stamping, I think it's stamping that triggers off the card generation process. In addition to getting the stamp you seem to (I've got my notice and have not yet been) to have to give a set of fingerprints and photographs for the card itself. So, I think if you don't go then you don't get into that last stage.

becky

I don't know where you are located and which country's PP u hold.

Assuming you hold an Indian PP:
The Indian CG in SFO usually handles PP renewal within a week. So even if you add a week more for mailing time, you should get a new passport in 2 wks.

So better to get it renewed right now.

(1) Whether you have to stamp passport before you can receive the plastic green card? i.e. whether passport stamp is a necessary step. I do not hope to delay any more.

Do it on either old or new passport - whatever you have with you at the time of approval. Don't delay stamping for passport renewal. If you have stamp on old passport and you need to travel after it expires, take both old + new passports with you. Your new passport + stamp on old passport are good enough for your re-entry in USA.

(2) How much valid time for the passport is required for passport stamping? In my case, now I only have 4.5 months left.

No valid timeframe required for passport stamping.

(3) Since the passport renewal needs about 1-2 months to finish since I have to use mailing service, if during this period, I-485 get approved, what can I do? Wait till the passport renewed, mailed back and get stamped? Then how will I say to the HR in my company? Still use my EAD to work?

I know one case where a person's passport was stolen and he was given an additional page "as passport stamp" (the officer attached that page with photocopy of passport). He was told that the photocopy of passport + that "stamp page" is good enough for re-entry in USA. He needed to keep that page with his new passport until he received his plastic card. I am not sure that will work for you, but it does not harm if you try same way - in case you don't have any passport with you due to renewal process.