Passport # changed

asmodean

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus,

My 485 is still pending. Meanwhile, I had to get a new passport as my old one was damaged and the new passport has a new # (passport number). Can anyone please tell me if it is going to affect the GC process and if so, how it would affect?

Thanks a lot,
Asmodean.

Absolutely no effect

I had the same problem. I applied for a new passport in March 2004. The Indian Consulate issued a passport valid only for 1 year, expiring March 2005. They told me that since I did not have a valid visa, I could not get a passport for a longer duration. At the time, I was out of H1, and pending 485.
Now I have the I-551 stamp on my pp, and have to request them for another (hopefully a 10 year) passport. The trouble now is that I have a 5-yr UK visa on the second pp. Will have to carry two around, I guess.
If you are required to submit passport copies, ensure that the first page which contains old passport number shows clearly.
Good luck.
Raj

One has to carry all passport all the time while crossing border !!
If asked for copies, send all pages of both passport

asmodean said:
Hello Gurus,

My 485 is still pending. Meanwhile, I had to get a new passport as my old one was damaged and the new passport has a new # (passport number). Can anyone please tell me if it is going to affect the GC process and if so, how it would affect?

Thanks a lot,
Asmodean.

No problem. My passport was changed twice... Once due to page shortage and next time due to renewal ... Hope this helps...

U have to carry all passports

I have 3 passports and carry them all the time. The first one was exhausted because of lots of visas and the given the second one. That was supposed to expire on Oct. last year and i applied for a new passport and got the third one. I staple all the passports together and take it all the time. It is not going to affect ur GC process. Please take all ur passports with u at all times.

Thanks for all your responses.

I could carry both my passports together. That should be no problem at all. But my problem is with "Different" passport numbers for the two passports. For GC filing, we included the passport number (i think?) and becoz of the new passport number, would it affect the 485 processing.

Thanks again,
Asmodean

asmodean said:
Thanks for all your responses.

I could carry both my passports together. That should be no problem at all. But my problem is with "Different" passport numbers for the two passports. For GC filing, we included the passport number (i think?) and becoz of the new passport number, would it affect the 485 processing.

Thanks again,
Asmodean

Not at all. In fact, at the time of PP stamping after I-485 approval, you're not even required to have a valid passport. They can stamp on a sepatate card. As long as your old passport can prove your claimed previous record, a new passport or not is iirelevant.

I renewed my PP few weeks before the I-485 approval, New PP was stamped, I think the officer did make a note of my new PP number.

you dont' need to carry two passports!

You dont' need to carry two passports unless, the older passport has an unexpired visa that you are planning on using. I got this info from uscis.

the new passport has the old passport number mentioned on, I think its the second page. it says cancelled old passport #... issued new passport on ...

ak2002 said:
You dont' need to carry two passports unless, the older passport has an unexpired visa that you are planning on using. I got this info from uscis.

the new passport has the old passport number mentioned on, I think its the second page. it says cancelled old passport #... issued new passport on ...

I thought so too. Thanks for confirmation.