Passport Application Misunderstanding, What Should I Do?

DannyP

I need some advice regarding my passport application. I was born abroad, but moved to the U.S. as a child. My mother naturalized when I was 14 years old and I a claiming U.S. citizenship through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. I was born out of wedlock in 1993 and my parents married in the U.S. in 1998. My father was born in the U.S. My parents divorced in 2007, and my mother naturalized in 2008. I was a legal permanent resident at the time of her naturalization and was under her custody. The divorce decree gives both parents custody but my mother has the exclusive right to designate my primary residence, so I lived with her. I've learned that to get proof of citizenship I can either apply for a Certificate of Citizenship (N-600) or apply for a U. S. passport. I decided to apply for a passport because it has a faster processing time and is a lot less expensive. I am planning on applying for the N-600 after I receive my passport. Before applying for the passport, I called the Department of State to verify what documents I would need to send along with my application. So I sent my birth certificate, a certified translation of the birth certificate, my parents' divorce decree, my mom's naturalization certificate, my green card, a passport photo, and a copy of my driver's license.

About two weeks ago I received a letter from the Department of State along with form DS-5507, Affidavit Parentage, Physical Presence and Support. The letter asked for proof of my citizenship or my father's birth certificate along with the DS-5507 form and my parents' marriage certificate. I believe they think I am claiming citizenship through birth abroad to a U.S. citizen father because they are asking for my father's birth certificate and the DS-5507 form they sent me is used in the Consular Report of Birth Abroad process. I think that since my father's nationality is listed as "American" on by birth certificate, they believe I am claiming citizenship through my father. I was born out of wedlock and my parents are divorced. I don't maintain contact with my father so I will not receive any help from him. I have called the Department of State but the person who answered wasn't very helpful and basically just told me to do what the letter says to the best of my ability. She then told me to just write a letter to the local Regional Office explaining my situation to them.

Should I write them a letter explaining the misunderstanding? If so, should I also send my parents' marriage certificate to show that I was born out of wedlock? I really don't know what to do at this point.