parents' i-485, son's birthdate, etc

ad-hoc

Registered Users (C)
a friend (us citizen) is sponsoring his parents, they are filing i-485. they have two sons here in the states. However, my friends' sibling (the other son)'s birthdate is wrong on his passport (he is not a citizen) which he never bother to correct it. So the question is:

if on their i-485, they put the correct birthdate, would the INS actually go check his son's records and causing trouble for his son? because of this concern, they are now thinking about not going through the process, which is agonizing my friend

I know they can simply not putting the other son on i-485 (which i think ins has no way of checking), but they don't want to do that.

are there any legal way to get around or fix this problem?

thanks.

put correct BD and make sure to have a copy of birth certificate. if the guy with wrong date in passport is not beneficiary, USCis won't ask for a passport.

BD is a material data and failure knowlingly disclose the accurate /complete data could result in denial of 485.

I have a different opinion that MydreamUSA. If the other son's all documents (passport/h1/school certificates) have the same (wrong) date, then that is the date they should put it. That is the "official" BD for him. It doesn't matter when he was actually born.

Putting in the correct date doesn't makes sense at all as at any point of time, it could cause inconsistency in docs. For example, if the parents decide to sponsor the other son's GC later, the documents will be inconsistent. Or if there is a weird RFE on the parents GC to provide documents for all children, they could be in trouble.

my 2 cents worth.

- ab

atlantabhopali said:
I have a different opinion that MydreamUSA. If the other son's all documents (passport/h1/school certificates) have the same (wrong) date, then that is the date they should put it. That is the "official" BD for him. It doesn't matter when he was actually born.

Putting in the correct date doesn't makes sense at all as at any point of time, it could cause inconsistency in docs. For example, if the parents decide to sponsor the other son's GC later, the documents will be inconsistent. Or if there is a weird RFE on the parents GC to provide documents for all children, they could be in trouble.

my 2 cents worth.

- ab
----Agree with Atlanta & Bhopali :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlanta & Bhopali and Ginnu,

I agree with you guys, BD printed in the official document of birth prevails. That is why, i said that BD should be the same as one in BD certificate ( or any other document equates it)

a followup

Putting the current date on the passport for the other son is problematic, as the wrong b-date is too close (4month) to their citizen son's b-date. Since the other son (the one with the wrong b-date) is already a GC holder, and won't be getting any benefit on the parents becoming GC holders, would the INS actually care?

My friend and his parents are worried that INS would question his son on his b-date.

Come to think of it, does INS/FBI actually keeps track of the family relationship on i-485?