Parent's Health Insurance

second stage

Registered Users (C)
I know this Q has been asked several times but I would like to ask again!

Does your employer allow you to add your parents(as dependents) to your health insurance coverage? or do you know any employer that does it?

If YES, please post details here..

No employer that I know of.

There is at least one company that offeres a limited policy that will cover GC parents until they qualify to purchase Medicare. Remember that the Medicare purchase is per person at many hundred dollars per month since they do not get the reduced rate offered US workers. Alternatively, the parents can work for an employer that provides health insurance until they have 40 quarters of coverage. Since many USCs work even after age 70, this is certainly an option for parents in their early 60s.

Google Narenda for insurance poster in some forums.

Again, everyone..am looking for names of employers who are generous enough to allow employee's parents to be added as dependants onto their medical coverage.

I know several companies that allow you to cover domestic partners other than spouse and kids.

Am NOT looking to buy medical coverage.

Covering parents, I WISH it was true! Lol! The only one I know (and it's STATE-based) is I believe you can get some kind of coverage if someone has to come and care of your sick parent while you work.

Something you aren't realizing is it's NOT the employer that makes that decision (of who they allow on the insurance), it's the insurance company solely, and no there is not an insurance company that allows that. Employers who offer insurance purchase it from an insurance company who decides these things. The employer has no say in who is covered on the policy unless they picked a company that allows it on purpose and even then, they have no say, but there aren't any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Medical coverage for parents is a gap that USCIS or any other US govt. / insurance companies do not/can not plug in readily.

Is it because USCIS thinks it gives parents of USCs green cards mostly on humanitarian grounds and there is a disconnect on financial ground:
a) that parents should bring substancial wealth which they can be expected to bring considering their age and stage in life and use it for their medical coverage.
b) Also the fact that insurance companies find very high risk covering unknown parents ( not much data in their medical record system)
c) Govt. may not afford to foot the bill of medical coverage of USCs parents, new in this country.
d) No contribution has been made by the parents in the medicare system.

1] Now what if parents get all the data from their country, can those with clean record get preferential rates?

2] If govt. stops spending huge piles of money/tens of billions of dollars in WAR SCAMS ( read reports on C-SPAN) can they divert some of those funds to parents medical coverage.
3] If Govt. thinks it gives naturalized USCs parents permission to obtain GC because in essence it wants to 'KEEP' those valuable USCs in the country contributing to national progress then what is parents fault that they don't get medical coverage?

What work has already been done on ths topic?

Without medical coverage it is bitter joke to give anybody green card in this country where a days medical bill can reach 100 thousand dollars (god forbids).
So what does immigrant community needs to do for this.

Bringing entire and truthful(/) record to submit to e.g. blue Shild may be a good start. Having a big group "Immigrant parents group" and then obtaining group medical insurance could be the next step. Something needs to start happening.

Afterall: if western world accepts making love to hundreds of unknown people in their lifetime and accepts domestic partners for coverage, essentially those people who have no legal committment to each other, then parents who have given 30/40% of their entire life raising responsible citizens should also get same or better rights, the rates may and should vary depending on individual cases but why not employers start thinking in this direction ? do we need silent demonstrations in Silicon Valley?

Something you aren't realizing is it's NOT the employer that makes that decision (of who they allow on the insurance), it's the insurance company solely, and no there is not an insurance company that allows that. Employers who offer insurance purchase it from an insurance company who decides these things. The employer has no say in who is covered on the policy unless they picked a company that allows it on purpose and even then, they have no say, but there aren't any.

I don't agree with that though. Most companies contribute a good part of insurance money for their employee (and pretty often for the members of the family). Contributing more for their parents? Why? There is no point for that. Also if employer DECIDE to do that Insurance company may simply increase the rate from, say, $300 to $900/person(!). That will kill all good intentions no matter what.

Frankly, there are state insurances one can buy in such situation (at least in MY state, I did research). BUT they are NOT cheap, so you have to pay $400-500/person (don't remember the exact price). I assume the OP simply doesn't want/can pay such price.

My fil works for a major insurance company in the US. I asked him before I posted. Companies have something called a MOD factor which tells how much companies pay for the insurance. He has never heard of parents being allowed on insurance and said companies MOD factors would skyrocket if they ever allowed that making insurance out of reach for most employees. Not to mention, the companies don't allow it because they are not dependents. I am not talking about personal insurance, I am talking about corporate insurance, where companies buy the policies and their employees pay into it.

I agree with that. :) What I was saying is there is no point for the company to pay for the parents. I'm sure company may ASK for that from insurance (and some insurances I bet wouldn't mind), but it's just plain unprofitable to do so. Too many disadvantages.

If I understand you correctly, you're looking for something for next to nothing. Good luck on that search.

If you have nothing better to say, please stay put.

Am paying for spouse and dependants in my current medical coverage thro' my employer and thats NOT next to nothing.

Am sorry, employers do offer coverage for domestic partners, spouses and children..so its something negotiable with insurance companies.