Parents Greencard Interview Experience

Nav102

Registered Users (C)
We went to the Raleigh-Durham USCIS Office around 9 AM . We had a scheduled interview for my mother at 9.30 AM and my dad at 10.15 AM. After entering the USCIS office and completed the Security Checks , we went to the Interview check-in counter. The lady at the checkin counter said she can get both the parents into the same interview room as long as they are married and also gave us the earliest interview time slot of 9.30 AM. We waited in the waiting area for our number to be called and were called in at 9.40 AM.

My parents and I were asked to raise our right hand to take the oath. After completing the oath we were asked a couple of questions .
1) Have I ever sponsored anybody else for GC before other than my parents: No
2) My Parents were asked to answer the questions on the second page (Polygamy , convictions , espionage ..) of the I-485 Application
3) The Officer verfied my Address information and name information
4) The Officer took both my parents I-94 forms from the passport and stapled it to the I-485 Application.
5) He asked if my parents have an SSN . I told him that my dad has received an SSN since he has a EAD but my mom doesnot have one since we didnot apply for EAD. He has updated the SSN information on my Dad's I-485 Application.
6) He took my Dad's EAD and put it in the trash and let us know that we should be getting a 10 Year card in the mail in a few weeks.
7) He put a Approved Stamp on both my parents I-130/I-485 App and entered that information into the computer.

We were all done my 10 AM and left the USCIS office. The officer was joking that his parent's were from Ireland and were ruled by the same people (Brit's) as I was originally from India. The Officer was cool and was constantly trying to engage my 2.5 Year old daughter who was little naughty! Overall the process was smooth , the only concern I had learned after joining this forum was that my parents came to the U.S on April 13th 2009 and I have applied for them on May 7th 2009 and was less than 30 days from the time of visiting U.S. Looks like that there is no waiting period to apply for a GC under the Immediate Relative Category according to many folks. The officer was amazed that the whole GC process to the interview was completed in less than three months , which exceeded my expectations as I was expecting this to take around 12-18 months based on the published processing times for the Raleigh-Durham Office which has one of the highest 485 backlogs in the U.S.

Thanks everyone for your support on this forum !! I will be around for a little while to answer any questions.

May 7th 2009 : I-130/I-485/I-765/I-693
Filing received by Chicago Lock Box
May 29th 2009 : Fingerprinting Completed (Raleigh - Durham,NC)

June 8th 2009 : I-765/EAD Approved

June 19th 2009 : EAD Received

June 29th 2009 : IL Arrived

Aug 06th 2009 : Scheduled interview date

Aug 06th 2009 : I-130/485 Approved

Last edited by a moderator:
recent parent interview.. End result approved green card application.

Relax they will only ask you question related to your case. Mostly name change, birth or marriage certificates not translated but not very clear. They want to see the original that it.. unless you are hiding something...

here is the interview (July 2010) questions

1. oath
2. show passport and citizen certificate
3. why you did not apply together -130 / 485 (applied separately not knowing we can do it together..no problem here)
4. original birth certificate
5. name change supporting documents
6. explain in India most of the time name is different during naming ceremony but change to real name and it is consistent till date.
7. I-94 taken
8. did you help someone to enter illegal in US - NO
9. fraudulent = illegal - NO
10. show birth certificate of petitioner
11. how many children
12. birth date of petitioner