Pakistani visa in Canceled US Passport?

sunbear

Good Day!

Does anyone have any experience travelling to Pakistani with a VALID Pakistani Visa in a CANCELED US (or other foreign country) passport? I've been told it's as simple as carrying both the canceled passport with Valid visa along with my current passport (without visa) but I'm wondering if I'll run into any problems getting on a flight, etc.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

-A

Do you mean an expired passport? To me cancel means that there was a problem with your passport that they had to cancel it and issue you a new pasport and number. If it is an expired passport you can take it with you along with the new passport.

Hmm, not sure I know the difference.

I "renewed" my passport because it was looking very old and as I'm travelling for a 6 month period soon, I was worried it would fall apart if I took it along :) So I got the old one back, it is stamped "CANCELED" as one can only have one valid passport.

But based on your comment it sounds like I'm OK to travel with the new and old one together, the old one with the valid visa - right?

The difference is the was a problem with the passport (it was in bad conditions) that's why the canceled, and I am assuming it has not expired. When you travel take both passports with you. Check the passports to see if they have same number. If you are really unsire about this call the Paskitani embassy to verify it with them.

Just to clarify. My understanding is this:

1) A valid passport is the property of the issuing government, not the bearer.
2) When it expires, it needs to be officially cancelled. This is done when the new passport is issued, usually the corners are cut off at this time.
3) If the old passport has a valid visa, it is not cancelled when the new passport is issued.
4) At this time, a stamp is made in the NEW passport that confirms that the OLD passport has a valid visa in it and the OLD passport remains valid as long as the visa is current. Yes, I know this is confusing.
5) Thus, you can travel with the old and new under these special circumstances. However, this issuing government will want to cancel the old passport as soon as it no longer needed.
6) You are, of course, allowed to keep all your old cancelled passports.

I did contact the Pakistani embassy actually....

Thought I'd share my findings as they are quite different than what you all are saying here.

My new passport has a diff. # than the old passport (canceled). This (at least for US Passports) is standard.

The Pakistani embassy indicates I just need to bring the old passport with the new passport. The old has a valid visa inside it.

I have heard nothing about having a stamp in the new that says there is a valid visa in the old.