Overstaying in US now Canadian citizen & want to visit US

slim215

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I came to US in 2000 under F1, left for 6 month in 2003 and re-enter the country in 2004 under H1B visa. Got laid-off in 2007, do AOS to B2 in 2007 and overstaying my B2 visa for more than a year before I left US 5 years ago in 2008 (stay in US the whole time between 2004 until 2008). I believe I am banned to re-enter the US for 10 years (5 years left now). I am now Canadian citizen and wanted to know what will happen if I'm trying to pass the border now? Would immigration officer on the US side will catch my name on their black list people? Thx!

You are still under 10 year bar. Getting Canadian citizenship does not erase your ban. You have a pretty good chance of being turned away at the border.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I am still under 10 year ban and I can say with certainty that if I go back to my original country and try to apply B2 visa that the US embassy will deny my application however that is not the case with me and I'm just wondering if anyone in this forum has the experience where they had been ban to re-enter US under one nationality and has since change their citizenship with countries that don't need visa to visit US and whether they have issue at the port of entry.

My situation is different.. i was brought at a child to the US and crossed over to Canada at 17. I'm now married and will become a canadian citizen this year. I applied for a visa to visit the us and was denied because my ties to canada were too new and was told to wait and visit as a citizen. Will I be able to cross the border in the falls to visit or do i need a waiver/pardon? Reason also being that my mother when I was a child married in the US but the marriage didn't work out and we never even became permanent residents. When I left the US at 17 I had a provisional social security number and an expired work permit. I'm 23 now.