overstaying F-1 visa

qble

Registered Users (C)
I came to a public high school in July 2007 as a F-1 visa. I did not know that I had to transfer to a private school after one year. I lived with my uncle in US and he did try to transfer me to a private school after I finhish my first year. The private school did not accept me because I am not christian. My uncle is also my legal guardian in US. The public school did not terminate me until 2 weeks ago. So I did go to the public school for another year. I am will be 18 next month. What should I do? if I go back to VN, can I apply to re-entry US? my parents are also applying for f4-brother-and-sister visa to come to US. They will come to US within a year and I am also a denpendent. If I come back to my country, can I come back to US with my parents. Will I get the 10 years bang from US? What is the best way I should do right now? please, please help!!!!

I came to a public high school in July 2007 as a F-1 visa. I did not know that I had to transfer to a private school after one year. I lived with my uncle in US and he did try to transfer me to a private school after I finhish my first year. The private school did not accept me because I am not christian. My uncle is also my legal guardian in US. The public school did not terminate me until 2 weeks ago. So I did go to the public school for another year. I am will be 18 next month. What should I do? if I go back to VN, can I apply to re-entry US? my parents are also applying for f4-brother-and-sister visa to come to US. They will come to US within a year and I am also a denpendent. If I come back to my country, can I come back to US with my parents. Will I get the 10 years bang from US? What is the best way I should do right now? please, please help!!!!

Do not worry! The ten year ban do not apply to you...because u are a minor. You better go back to your country before turning 18! now you are not illegal you are legal but remember when you turn 18 the days counts...

Best of luck!

thank you very a quick reply. I was told by an immigration lawyer that I will be banned for at least 5 years. Also, my uncle help to register for a private school here and the school could not reinstate my i-20 because I overstay my visa.
I already have a ticket to go back to my country. My concern is can I apply to come back to US to finish my high school? what should I do when I am back to my home town? Or can I still come to US with my parents? I will be over 18 at that time. Does anyone has the same problem with me? I am very worried about my future.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really are worried and ready and willing to leave before turning 18, do not lose sleep over any potential ban. You are still a minor and not responsible in the eyes of USCIS.

Dear Triple Citizen,
I already have a tickect to come back my home town. I am leaving next week. Your answer makes me feel a lot better now. I still have a lot of questions :)
I really want to finish high school here. I was terminated from the public school in the middle of this semester. I am a straight A student. I really want to continue my studying in US. Can my apply to come back to US to finish high school when I arrive my country? can my uncle enroll me in a private school here as soon as I leave the country?

If these private schools issue I-20s, then yes, you may apply for an F-1 visa once you are back in your home country.

Dear Triple Citizen,
I just talked to another immigration attorney. He also gave me a 10 years ban. He said it does not matter if I am a minor or not. But I can apply for a waiver I-601. Do you have any experience similar to my case in the past?