bigzzz

Hi I am a US citizen who is engaged to an international student on an F-1 visa. My girlfriend graduated from school on 12/12/2019 and currently living with me in the US on her 60 day grace period which will end on 2/14/2020.

We are getting married at the end of this January and we have prepared most of the forms but we are still waiting for her birth certificate to be translated and sent over. This has made us worried in case this will delay our ability to mail the I-485/I-130 forms to USCIS and receive an answer before her grace period ends on 2/14. I called USCIS but they couldn't give me a very clear answer.

My question is if we get married and send out the paperwork but USCIS doesn't receive the forms/notify us before her grace period ends, would my girlfriend have to leave the country or risk her application being rejected since she overstayed while waiting for the reply based on the gap of status? Would it be better for her to apply for OPT to extend her stay if that were the case?

As the spouse of a US citizen, she is in the Immediate Relative category and she does not need to be in status to do Adjustment of Status. Even if she had overstayed for years before she filed I-485, it would still have no effect on her I-485. Just file as soon as possible.

As the spouse of a US citizen, she is in the Immediate Relative category and she does not need to be in status to do Adjustment of Status. Even if she had overstayed for years before she filed I-485, it would still have no effect on her I-485. Just file as soon as possible.
Thanks for the reply. There is no time limit to her overstaying after we get married though? The birth certificate might arrive next month after her grace period ends but we plan to get married before the grace period ends.

Thanks for the reply. There is no time limit to her overstaying after we get married though? The birth certificate might arrive next month after her grace period ends but we plan to get married before the grace period ends.
There is no time limit. But she is deportable between when her grace period ends and when her I-485 is filed, so the shorter the better.