out of status question?

fi44fi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I filed I-130 for my two children when I was green card holder. I have recently become a U.S citizen. Now, I filed AOS along with other forms for my daughter last week. My children came under me with F-2 visa at the time, but I wasn't able to pay for the forms and didn't know any better "fee waiver" etc.. at the time and now they are out of status. I am worried that with the recent immigration issues if they deport my children. They grew up here now they are under 18 and 20. Do I need to hire a lawyer or can i even hire a lawyer after filing?
When I called USCIS to ask few questions today, lady said they may be eligible to apply but certainly they have to use that coverage terms and she also gave attorney website and mentioned about I-601 but she didn't say we will have to do it, she said we may need these.
Any advice, or suggestion will be appreciated?

From my understanding being out of status isn't too bad as long as you (or in this case the kids) entered legally. My lawyer told me she had cases were the spouse was out of status for 10 years and there weren't any problems with the AOS. As long as you can proof the legal entry to the US.

In any case I think it would be helpful to speak to an attorney. They charge something between $0 - $150 for a first consultation, and sometimes that's helpful enough and you can do it by yourself. In fact, our attorney totally said we can do it on our own. We still hired her, just to be on the safe side.
Good luck!

Thank you so much Ruh. We went ahead sent all the required forms and EAD as well. We got notice of action yesterday. There is no additional documentation asked, they say they will inform my daughter for fingerprinting soon. by the way they entered in legally under my status at the time. Hope the rest will go through smoothly as well. Your response gave us a relief also thanks a lot.

Since last time I post this concern, we received RFE because of my lay off last year. They sent yellow letter and asked either joint sponsor or wanted me proof my income I stated in the initial form. They asked me to provide last 6 mths of paychecks , bank statements, etc to proof that I was meeting poverty levels, which I meet. Anyhow, I didn't have last six months due to a lay off a year ago, but hired Feb/22/ 2010 this year I sent what ever I had. My fulltime employment totaled up to 4 1/2 months, I hope they won't come up with anything else. It took us a month to gather all employment letter, and all other additional proofs, now in July 20th status says they received and they will notify us within 60 days, but we also applied for EAD, aren't they supposed to at least send my daughter to fingerprinting?
I am kind of confused , I called USCIS they put a request for fingerprinting. No response as of today yet..
Yes, by the way she has A# now..
Any idea will be appreciated as all of us one point of time in the same boat.