Our landing experience

Megg

Registered Users (C)
Hi:
Just want to share my experience as I learned a lot from this site prior to our landing. I converted from F-1 to H-1 with no H-1 visa in my passport. We went through the Rainbow Bridge to Canada. Before passing the bridge, I took all the I-94s even the one when I came to the States on student visa. The immigration officer just asked for my bank statement and verified it was US fund, and where we would be staying. I gave her my hotel name. I had my "goods to follow" lists prepared before head. The only surprise through the Customs was that I was told I had to import my car right there since I drove it over for the landing. Since I did not have a Canadian address, the officer and his colleague were thinking of allowing my car as part of the goods to follow. But after consulting with his boss I had to pay the processing fee and get an envelope to mail the form back to the Customs once I have a Canadian address. I even had my car title with me as he asked. I do not know what happened if I did not have.
We applied our SINs by giving our US address.
Coming back, we went through the same bridge again. This time I had all the I-94s stapled on our passports and took off the Canadian landing papers that stapled on to our passports by the Canadian Immigration. The INS officer asked two questions, first our citizenship and then if we bought anything in Canada. he didn\'t ask for the I-797A forms.
Impressions of Canada: expensive. We went to Toronto and stopped at Niagara Falls on our way back. Houses are expensive. I heard salary wise it is not comparable with the US. How can they afford anything or savings? Please shine some lights. Thanks.

Expensive ?

Megg,

Thanks for sharing your landing experience with us. Can you elaborate a little bit more about canada, being "expensive" ? In what ways did you think it was more expensive than US ?

Thanks.

Expensive is relative

Toronto being expensive is relative to the area of the US you are coming from. Having moved from Toronto to the Bay Area I can tell you that housing in Toronto is quite inexpensive compared to here. Salary wise you\'ll probably find that you will get in Canadian dollars roughly what you were making in US dollars here. I initially thought that taxes/cost of living were worse in Canada but after adding up things like auto-tax, payroll tax and now possibly having to purchase medical insurance I find things aren\'t as cheap here as I thought. I\'m still better off financially than Toronto but not by nearly as much as I thought.

No Title

I actually tabulated almost everything I own as description, brand, model, serial number, USD and CAD. I do not know if it is necessary though. While we were there, a Uhaul pulled in with a full load of household stuff. From the open in the back, I could only see a couple of chairs and some laundry baskets. I did not think the Customs officer ever checked what were inside, since the Uhaul drove off the parking lot pretty quickly. I may be wrong or over looked since I was attending my daughter at the same time.

As to the health card, you have to wait three monthes in Ontario to apply. each province is different.

Medical certificate ??????

Megg,

When we go for landing, do we need to produce evidence of immunization for tetanus,measles,diphtheria,rubella and mumps for the children under age of 18 (Copied from the letter along with PR Documents)

I have a Kid ( 2yrs 3 months).

No Title

Medical Certificates: That immunization card is for when your child attending school. You do not need that this time assuming you will come back after a short period of time. I would get it filled out by the pediatrician before moving permanently there.

We stayed about 4 days.

I just have read about your this of the experience and the thing is that I really like your this of the idea to share this here with us. I appreciating to you for sharing this here with us.