OT: One possible advantage of not taking your spouse's last name

Triple Citizen

Registered Users (C)
This forum has seen a decent number of posts where couples want to know the procedure for one spouse to take the surname of the other and also what is the best stage in the GC process to make the change. My wife and I both consider this an outdated concept and thus never went through with it.

As most of you know, 99% of my posts are replies and I very seldom create a thread. However something funny happened with us yesterday that is prompting this thread. Yesterday my wife and I were returning to the US from Canada. We had gone to visit my folks. We used the Blue Water Bridge (between Port Huron, MI and Sarnia, ON) to cross back. When our turn came to be inspected I pulled up slowly to the booth and upon coming to a stop, handed our US passports to the officer manning the booth.

The officer opened both passorts up, looked at the bio pages and this is how the coversation went:-

Officer: So where do you both live?
Me: Naperville, Illinois
Officer: Where are you both coming from?
Me: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Officer: How are you related?
Me: We are married
Officer: When did you get married?
Me: 2002
Officer: I see, so no name change?
Me: No. I guess you can mark it down as the magic keeping the marriage intact.

The officer started laughing hyterically, handed us the passports back and waved us on.

Funny story, I thought I might share with the fourm. By the way, I am fully aware that the comments in bold above is considered volunteering information and I should have ideally stopped at "No", since that was enough to answer the officer's question :)