OT Humour: Family Based Immigrant From Hell

Triple Citizen

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Please do not take this post as an attack on any individual/group. I have been on these forums for 15 months now and I am translating my observations from this specific sub-forum into a Letterman Top Ten List. If this in any form or shape offends anyone, I apologise in advance as my intention is not to offend anyone. I am just trying to be humourous here and may possibly fail at it.

So these are the following ten traits I have observed in what I describe as Family Based Immigrant From Hell

(1) Wants to know if it is ok to hide blood relatives on the DS-156 form in order to increase chances of B-2 visa issuance
(2) Wants to know what to say/do at the POE so that a full 6 months I-94 is issued
(3) Wants to know why grandson's birthday party or daughter's pregnancy are not good enough reasons to get an I-539 approved
(4) Wants to apply for AOS once the I-94 expires
(5) Wants to be given an advance parole document after AOS submission to attend something very important back home and is not pleased to learn that accruing 180 days or more of overstay closes that avenue
(6) Wants to leave the US for 2-3 years a day after being granted permanent residency
(7) Wants to know how to keep the GC alive by visiting every six months and entering/leaving via Canada
(8) Wants to know how to hide prolonged absenses on form N-400
(9) Wants to leave the US permanently after being granted citizenship
(10) Wants to know why US tax returns have to be filed even when living abroad

I again apologise if this hurts anyone. My intention was not to.

I don't think anyone should be offended by your list, else they should be ashamed of their intentions! :D

Not sure where it fits in your very comprehensive list, but this one also comes to mind:

Finds to have abandoned permanent residency after never filing a tax return and having worked back home for 15 years. Wants to know if they can reestablish residency by crossing the rainbow bridge.

Has newborn US citizen son and would like to know how the son should sign I-130 on their AOS package so that the parents can get EAD. Doodle on it with crayons or spit lunch on it and make a hand print?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about "I want to know if it is better to marry a green card holder or an US Citizen (for the sake of obtaining a green card)"?...

Shame on you people...

curosity

interesting!
how should one take the discussion that is going on here
1) you guys are trying to share or deliver some kind of information?
2) Is it a part of volunter work that you guys are doing all around?
3) Is it some kind of sarcasm on ppl whom you have been showing sympathy with?
If it doesn't imply any offense or sarcasm, then this thread and all thediscussion seems uselss,no harm done. Just out of curosity! nothing personal

And one more thing I forgot
Whats there for some one to be ashamed off. You guys made a mistake by posting your own history in your signatures.
Which one is more shame ful
Hiding information on DS 156
Marrying US citizen for green card
Atleast hiding information on DS 156 doesn't directly harm/ruin other individual's life, while marrying a lovely US citizen for GC has the possibilty in future.
Plz don't be offended, but I am trying to say that human being are weak and you guys are not any exceptions

xerostomic, I think the goal is definitely humor and sarcasm, and doesn't serve a purpose other than entertainment. Well, perhaps it might help someone who planned something on the list to rethink their future course of action.

Marrying a US citizen for a green card is not shameful, but it is shameful (or actually unlawful) if the sole purpose of the marriage is to seek an immigration benefit; and in the example Praetorian recited, I think the intention was that the person is making the decision on who to marry solely for an immigration benefit.

Concealing relevant information on a visa application would be equally unlawful.

I'll take back my earlier characterization of "shameful." Unlawful is a better way to characterize some of the above examples, and some are not necessarily unlawful but characterized by lack of immigration law knowledge or poor planning. Although, I'd rather be ashamed than unlawful.

I think this thread is being hijacked by spouses of USC's. How clever none of your married LPR! may I know why?
I don't find any thing wrong with some one asking wheather to marry USC or LPR, it just innocence and lack of knowledge that you guys had at the time of marriage and he didn't.
Secondly, if I have to chose between two girls, one citizen and other LPR, with both candidates as good or as bad for me, I would go for the one that is more appropriate for me, so whats wrong in that.
Brother's we all are weak and saying some one shameful is heavily offensive.

I think this thread is being hijacked by spouses of USC's. How clever none of your married LPR! may I know why?
I don't find any thing wrong with some one asking wheather to marry USC or LPR, it just innocence and lack of knowledge that you guys had at the time of marriage and he didn't.
Secondly, if I have to chose between two girls, one citizen and other LPR, with both candidates as good or as bad for me, I would go for the one that is more appropriate for me, so whats wrong in that.
Brother's we all are weak and saying some one shameful is heavily offensive.

To put your question "why none of us married an LPR" in perspective, there are about 150 million US citizen women in this country, so chances are a woman you'd meet in the US happens to be a US citizen.

As for myself, I didn't know or care what my then-girlfriend's citizenship or immigration status was when I met her, and I didn't consider becoming a permanent resident until many years later. I would have had plenty of opportunity to get an employment based GC too, and at the same time my girlfriend and I discovered over the years that we'll share our lives in the future. I even insisted for a long time that I wanted to get my GC through employment - but since we were about to get married anyway, and the EB based GC would have taken much longer and be costly, we decided it was best for both of us if my wife petitions for a marriage based GC for me.

Would our relationship have developed differently if my wife was an LPR, or foreign student perhaps? I don't think so. Maybe I wouldn't want to be an LPR and we'd want to move to my or my wife's home country. Maybe we'd decide that we'd like to stay here and I would have gotten the the EB based GC. Who knows? But did it factor into my decision who to share my life with? No. Had I known then what I knew today, would I have selected my wife based on her immigration status? I don't think so. I'm not that desperate to stay in this country; I'm from a pretty nice little country myself and have no doubts that I could manage to get an EB based GC if employment would have been the only reason I'd like to stay here. However, this happens to be my wife's home country and now my adopted home.

Did I answer the question to your satisfaction?

Now, about your question if something is wrong with figuring immigration status into your marriage decision, of course not. It's not something I would do, but I don't think that's "shameful" if that's how you must decide between two women you equally love (or, want to have a good faith marriage with). But if the only reason you get married to one or the other is for a GC, that's unlawful. Believe it or not, every once in a while we run into people here who (not knowing any better) admit that they get married for a GC only.

To put your question "why none of us married an LPR" in perspective, there are about 150 million US citizen women in this country, so chances are a woman you'd meet in the US happens to be a US citizen.

As for myself, I didn't know or care what my then-girlfriend's citizenship or immigration status was when I met her, and I didn't consider becoming a permanent resident until many years later. I would have had plenty of opportunity to get an employment based GC too, and at the same time my girlfriend and I discovered over the years that we'll share our lives in the future. I even insisted for a long time that I wanted to get my GC through employment - but since we were about to get married anyway, and the EB based GC would have taken much longer and be costly, we decided it was best for both of us if my wife petitions for a marriage based GC for me.

Would our relationship have developed differently if my wife was an LPR, or foreign student perhaps? I don't think so. Maybe I wouldn't want to be an LPR and we'd want to move to my or my wife's home country. Maybe we'd decide that we'd like to stay here and I would have gotten the the EB based GC. Who knows? But did it factor into my decision who to share my life with? No. Had I known then what I knew today, would I have selected my wife based on her immigration status? I don't think so. I'm not that desperate to stay in this country; I'm from a pretty nice little country myself and have no doubts that I could manage to get an EB based GC if employment would have been the only reason I'd like to stay here. However, this happens to be my wife's home country and now my adopted home.

Did I answer the question to your satisfaction?

Now, about your question if something is wrong with figuring immigration status into your marriage decision, of course not. It's not something I would do, but I don't think that's "shameful" if that's how you must decide between two women you equally love (or, want to have a good faith marriage with). But if the only reason you get married to one or the other is for a GC, that's unlawful. Believe it or not, every once in a while we run into people here who (not knowing any better) admit that they get married for a GC only.

Well put.

We also have people (men) who offer "marry an US Citizen, and get a free green card". Asking for women from other countries, exotic, interesting, etc...

Dear Austicus
I am sorry I didn't want to be personal on this thing, I had already mentioned that there is nothing personal or offensive. I just didn't like the word ashamed off especially from you guys who are synanymous to an attorney for every one here ( having a degree in law doesn't matter for most ppl, but knowing the law does) so I had to speak bluntly to explain my view point.
There was no need to go into the details of your marital/personal life as I know that all marriages are not for green card.
sorry again if I hurt you.

I don't find your list humorous - just sadly true. It explains a lot about why there is so much distrust in the immigration process. I hope those who would abuse the system take note and make other choices.

Are you guys comedians? Making fun of people's serious
issues is plain wrong.

Serious issues? give me a break...

There is enough serious stuff going on in the world, so relax. Unless you are personally offended or will advocate that "marrying solely for a GC is OK". Then take your leave.

This is OFF TOPIC HUMOR.

Triplecitizen, you might have tried to be hilarious, but this off topic thread went so off the topic on to become insulting, I don't expect it from some one who knows the law .

pratorianXI, I thought you would atleast apologise to every one.