Original or photocopy?

ixora78

Registered Users (C)
I wonder whether I should submit the original letter of recommendations or photocopies would do? How about the photocopies of my diploma and award certificates? Do I need to get all of them certified when I file my I-140?

Thanks!

ixora78 said:
I wonder whether I should submit the original letter of recommendations or photocopies would do? How about the photocopies of my diploma and award certificates? Do I need to get all of them certified when I file my I-140?

Thanks!

Photocopy should be fine !
no you don't have to get photocopy certified!
just make sure its clear photocopy.
if they have any doubts they will ask you!

Do you mean that even letter of recommendations, the photocopies would do?
Some of my friends told me that, even digital signature (in PDF) version won't work and the USCIS needs the handwritting signature for these letters. Is that true?

ixora78 said:
yes
Some of my friends told me that, even digital signature (in PDF) version won't work and the USCIS needs the handwritting signature for these letters. Is that true?
anybody with first hand experience? my friends got approval using photocopy![/QUOTE]

All letters submitted with our petition were only photocopies. Some even sent their final letter of reference via email/fax. So digital signatures were acceptable in our case. We never got any queries.

ixora78 said:
You should submit the recommendation letters in original. Its fine to have digital signatures. Any letter which is directly addressed to USCIS should be submitted in original. Thats my understanding.
Goodluck.

arydk,
I don't think the original letters should be included in the petition. My case was approved with photocopies alone! In fact, if you listen carefully to the message on the customer service number, USCIS will instruct you to submit photocopies of all documents unless originals are requested later on. The petitioner should keep an original letters until the case is adjudicated.

I guess Arydk has a point, which is probably based on:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/hdiorig.htm

Note that one of the example items included is specifically advisory opinion letters. So I would submit originals to be on the safe side.

Having said that, I do think they will not be too picky and will still accept photocopies of recomm letters if they are happy with the overall qualifications of the applicant.

Last edited by a moderator:
greenc_seeker,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think it is best to submit the originals, although a few of us (including mine) did not face any issues when we submitted photocopies of the reference letters. My attorney keeps all the originals.

My plan is to get 2-3 original copies from the referees.
So, you can send 2 copies to the lawyer and keep 1 copy myself..

greenc_seeker said:
I guess Arydk has a point, which is probably based on:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/hdiorig.htm

Note that one of the example items included is specifically advisory opinion letters. So I would submit originals to be on the safe side.

Having said that, I do think they will not be too picky and will still accept photocopies of recomm letters if they are happy with the overall qualifications of the applicant.

You are correct in saying that. Since I prepared all the documents and also filed myself (through the employer) I tried to follow whatever USCIS asked for. One could be surprized to see the details of information available on filing these petitions.

One can/should try to follow the requirements posted by USCIS so that you can minimize the chances of a RFE/denial.