Ordered to Learn English, 3 Armed Robbers Now Deported

Interestingly, the fourth accomplice in the crime ( Kelvin Reyes-Rosario) remains in jail on an unrelated drug charge. Guess ICE has to wait until he served his previous sentence before deporting him?

Normally, that's how criminal deportation works. A criminal to be deported serves out his/her sentence in the U.S., after which the deportation is carried out.

What a waste of taxpayers money.
But if ICE simply deported them immediately without putting them in prison, they'd be back here within days or weeks. Then they commit another crime, get deported again, rinse repeat. So it is important to make them serve prison time.

Still, it would be better if the US could negotiate something with their home countries to keep them in prison in that country, even if it means having to pay the prison costs to that government (which for most countries would be less than 20% of what it costs to imprison them here).

Last edited by a moderator:
But if ICE simply deported them immediately without putting them in prison, they'd be back here within days or weeks. Then they commit another crime, get deported again, rinse repeat. So it is important to make them serve prison time..
An do you figure they would make it back? That's quiet a task to swim to US from the Dominican Republic, let alone take a raft. I doubt they would be able to make it back as easily as you imply.

An do you figure they would make it back? That's quiet a task to swim to US from the Dominican Republic, let alone take a raft. I doubt they would be able to make it back as easily as you imply.

They'll pay smugglers, as usual. NPR has good reports on illegals recently deported back to El Salvador, for example. They all used smugglers to get to the US; very expensive ones, btw.

They'll pay smugglers, as usual. NPR has good reports on illegals recently deported back to El Salvador, for example. They all used smugglers to get to the US; very expensive ones, btw.

The Dominican Republic is an island and it would be very difficult if not impossible to smuggle them directly to the US. Also, I would think that going to another country first, like Mexico, would be equally as difficult.

The Dominican Republic is an island and it would be very difficult if not impossible to smuggle them directly to the US. Also, I would think that going to another country first, like Mexico, would be equally as difficult.

Well it's part of an island, anyway. The usual route is through Puerto Rico, which is why there are checks at the airports there even though it's an American commonwealth. Nevertheless people often perish on these ventures.

Well it's part of an island, anyway. The usual route is through Puerto Rico, which is why there are checks at the airports there even though it's an American commonwealth. Nevertheless people often perish on these ventures.

That still doesn't explain how they would get from Puerto Rico to the US mainland. They would surely be stopped when trying to leave Puerto Rico or enter the US.

It isn't that hard to get into Mexico. Mexico probably won't know they've been deported; they'll probably be able to just take a regular flight there from the Dominican Republic. Or fly to Guatemala or somewhere else in Central America first, and then navigate through Mexico with the help of "coyotes" to smuggle them through.

Of course, some won't come back. But if deportation without prison time is the penalty, that isn't much of a deterrent to committing crimes in the US. They'd be able to rob and rape and wouldn't really lose their freedom if they're caught, they'd just end up back where they came from. We have to make them suffer some prison time, whether it is done in the US or elsewhere.

That still doesn't explain how they would get from Puerto Rico to the US mainland. They would surely be stopped when trying to leave Puerto Rico or enter the US.

They might get caught, but it's far easier to get to the US mainland illegally from PR than from the other islands directly. PR is US territory, so there is no immigration to pass through at the airports, only customs. I believe they'll accept a driver's license as identification. Not just Dominicans take advantage of this. Haitians will cross DR, then into PR and US, and even Cubans will cross both Haiti and DR to get into Puerto Rico and then US.

They might get caught, but it's far easier to get to the US mainland illegally from PR than from the other islands directly. PR is US territory, so there is no immigration to pass through at the airports, only customs. I believe they'll accept a driver's license as identification. Not just Dominicans take advantage of this. Haitians will cross DR, then into PR and US, and even Cubans will cross both Haiti and DR to get into Puerto Rico and then US.

I still have a hard time believing that they would be so desperate to come back to the US mainland. First they would have to cross the shark invested Mona passage waters by raft to Puerto Rico. Next, they would have to be on the constant look out for the US coast guard patrolling the shores of Puerto Rico. Finally, if they make it through those obstacles, they would then have to obtain fake ID and book a flight to the US. With the slowing of the US economy and increase in US unemployment, I would think the risk is just not worth it for them. Then again, many still make it to Puerto Rico...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...0A25751C1A964958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Last edited by a moderator:
In going from the US mainland to PR, there is neither a customs nor immigration check once you arrive on the island. You do not need to have any proof of citizenship to check in at the airport or board the plane and in fact it is not even considered an international flight. In flying from Puerto Rico to the US, there is neither a formal immigration nor customs check. When I left the Island, there were two very bored looking CBP agents who were asking people's citizenship as they boarded the aircraft. They were not checking documents, they did not have access to a computer terminal / scanner etc. All one needed was a verbal declaration of citizenship. The most official check on leaving PR is with the US Dept of Agriculture, which scans all bags and places a sticker on them prior to the bags being checked by an airline.

If you travel to PR as a Permanent Resident, it is advisable to bring your GC so that when you board the aircraft you can simply show it to the CBP agents, in case they want to see it. Not sure about people sneaking into the US from Puerto Rico, although I am sure it happens or they would not have CBP agents at the boarding area for what is technically a domestic flight.

Border with Mexico seems to be getting tighter all the time. Every time I go down south of San Diego, I am amazed at how much tighter security has become over the years...the border is starting to look almost militarized in nature- there are huge lights and cameras on poles, a double wall with barbed wire in places, and border patrol agents in 4x4s, on quads and on even horseback. Not sure that they can ever seal it completely but I read yesterdy in the WSJ that the number of pursuits by border patrol agents is way down this year. I think it's a combination of tighter security and lousy economic conditions...

I remember hearing that last year something like 600 cubans made it to Mona Island (PR island between DR and PR). It is indeed a treacherous passage. Those that don't die often have to be rescued by Coast Guard. Unfortunately, there are always enough desperate people that these sorts of risks appear worthwhile.

I remember hearing that last year something like 600 cubans made it to Mona Island (PR island between DR and PR). It is indeed a treacherous passage. Those that don't die often have to be rescued by Coast Guard. Unfortunately, there are always enough desperate people that these sorts of risks appear worthwhile.

Hell, I don't blame them..if I were in their shoes I'd probably do the same.

Hell, I don't blame them..if I were in their shoes I'd probably do the same.
Same here. And same thing for the ones that come over the wall from Mexico and Central America. It's easy for people already in the US to sit here and judge and pick on illegal immigrants. However, I think most people, when faced with a very bleak future filled with poverty or the chance for a better (but not great) life in the US and the chance to make a bit more money, would do exactly the same thing. There but for the grace of God go I...

Same here. And same thing for the ones that come over the wall from Mexico and Central America. It's easy for people already in the US to sit here and judge and pick on illegal immigrants. However, I think most people, when faced with a very bleak future filled with poverty or the chance for a better (but not great) life in the US and the chance to make a bit more money, would do exactly the same thing. There but for the grace of God go I...

Very true..people tend to easily forget the human side of illegal immigrants..they see them for breaking the law instead of their situation.

Very true..people tend to easily forget the human side of illegal immigrants..they see them for breaking the law instead of their situation.

I have no synpathy for illegals. Vicente Fox or whoever the corrupt guy is ruling Mexico is pushing these people here. Let them create jobs and a robust economy in Mexico. I am appaled two neighboring countries are in such different shapes. It is the politicians who corrupt the whole world. I think Indian politicians are the worst of all and morons of all.