Order of various applications after oath ceremony

madh4

Registered Users (C)
I find lot of posts of new USC facing various problem after their OC. This is for information of all who are in the process of becoming USC.

If you have a name change during naturalization, the first act after oath ceremony is to visit DMV and get DL/State ID in the new name. They need your NC and name change document. Most of the States the new id is issued across the counter. In some states it will be mailed - no problem. Next visit SS office. Let them document your change of status to a citizen. For both the processes you will get back original NC and name change document.

Only after the above two, apply for your US PP. Your NC is gone for couple of weeks if you apply for expedited or otherwise for 6-8 weeks. One day delay to apply for US PP is not a big deal.

any comments????

Two comments:

1. Shouldn't this thread be on the "Life After Citizenship" forum? This topic is discussed there all the time.

2. Re the statement "... apply for your US PP. Your NC is gone for couple of weeks if you apply for expedited or otherwise for 6-8 weeks." recent experience, including mine, has been that non-expedited PP applications are turning around in slightly over two weeks at present. So at the moment, 6-8 weeks is way high. I suppose this can change at any time.

I think madh4 is probably correct that if you have a name change, it makes sense to update DL/State ID first, before doing anything else. After that (or before that, if there's no name change) I'd argue that for many of us, the passport is actually the first priority. This is because, as a US citizen, you're not supposed to travel abroad without a US passport. In my case - and I suspect this would apply to many others on this forum - I have elderly parents and in-laws in the home country, and although their health is fine right now, I see ability to travel on a moment's notice as a top priority, just in case of any family emergency. So I applied for a passport as soon as I could, and left other updates to wait.