Options for RN's?

TNguy78

Registered Users (C)
I'm looking for any options that RN's might have now that the Schedule A is no longer available.

A friend of mine is doing his 2nd year of my 2 year RN (Associates Degree) and was hoping to use that to help get his greencard. But now I read somewhere that the Schedule A thing that gave the RN's their Labor Certification is no longer available.

What can he do now? He already started his OPT so that he could work during the summer and during his 2nd year of school. What are his options when he graduates next May and his OPT runs out in June?

What are his options to:
1- Work (ie what visa's would I be eligible for)?
2- Stay in the US?
3- Get his greencard?

Thanks for any insight you can give me to give to him.

Lots of views, but no replies at all.

Does that basically mean he's SOL?

His option is either transfer to another college so he could get a new I-20 or he would have to leave the US 60 days after the expiration of his I-20. Hopefully before that, there might be more visas available for nurses which means that he would be able to file for AOS and I-140 and not have to leave the states.

still schedule A exist, and it means that RN's do not need labor cert.(CAN apply directly I-140) and in visa categ. they are transferred to EB3,

I thought that the Schedule A provision expired in Sept 2006?

Is that true or is it still available?

Applying for pre-completion OPT was stupid. He had to wait and apply for post completion OPT just before graduation. At this time his only option to enter RN-BSN program right after graduation and to apply for Curriculum practical training. Tell him to speak with International school advisors at colleges and universities that offer RN-BSN. Also, interested employer can apply for I-140, but to apply for i-485 the priority date has to be current.

Ok - so to help me understand the employment side of the LPR processing, a person can still have a I-140 filed on their behalf even if they just hold a Associates RN?

But, even after the long process for the I-140, he would still have to wait for his date to be current before he could file the 485 and get his EAD and AP - correct?

Is this correct information:
He is from Canada (fact, not a question)
He will graduate with an Associates RN in May 08
If he can find a hospital willing to sponsor, the category would be EB3 - correct?

According to the Oct Bulletin, EB3 for all other countries is Feb 15, 2000. Does that mean that only people who have I-140's filed before Feb 15, 2000 are allowed to file their 485's (and benefit from the EAD and AP)?

The priority date for October 2007 is 01AUG02. Everything else is correct. If he is a Canadian citizen it's better to apply for TN visa for 3 years and not to file i-140 at this time, since TN is a non-immigrant visa. When he files i-140 and i-485 he will need to apply for advance parole to travel and EAD to work. Also, he can work on TN visa and study in the US at the same time to get his BSN.

Is an Associates RN degree (2 year, not 4 year) eligible for a TN?

I know one of the Titles is Registered Nurse - but is that intended to be a Canadian RN or American RN? In Canada there is no such thing as a 2 year RN, it requires a 4 year bachelors degree, but in the US you can get a 2 year RN.

Thanks for all you help!

I have another question or two.

Comments:
1 - The Associates Degree (AD) RN (two year) is fine for a TN. (based on a previous response).
2 - The sponsoring hospital can file the I-140 petition now, but they can't file the I-485 (and AP and EAD) until the EB3 dates are current - which would be many years from now. The December bulletin now states Sept 1, 2002 (Canada).
3 - An H1 is out of the question because the degree is not a Bachelors degree.

Questions:
1 - If the person tries to get a TN under the profession of RN - does the job itself have to be a RN position? Can the person get a TN with a AD RN for a CNA job or a Patient Care Associate or Patient Care Tech job? Must the job be officially an RN title?
2 - Is there a list of hospitals that qualify under the H1-C? Can an AD RN qualify under H1-C with the appropriate certificates (visascreen)?
3 - With a AD RN for the TN - is there also minimum number of years experience required like there are for the IT categories? Or is that only for H1's?