OPT Waiting EAD card - How to start working before ?

I recently graduated with a master degree in the US (Under an F-1 visa). A few days ago, I sent my application to USCIS to start my OPT and receive my EAD.
But the process takes 90 days or more.
I already have a job offer and the company is asking if there is any way for me to start working for them before.
I was thinking about a J-1 visa before I receive my EAD card.
Is there a way that I could expedite the process of EAD card?


Active Member
I heard some school created an additional course credit that student can get and therefore qualify for CPT until their OPT comes. Maybe your can ask your school to do that?
Make EAD expedite request by calling USCIS on 1-800-375-5283. You can also visit a USCIS local office with an InfoPass appointment or writing a letter to the field office or service center.
Traditional USCIS processing time has been 90 days or more, but currently processing times are exceeding 110 days. From point of approval, USCIS says it can take 30 days beyond to receive your EAD card; however, most cards arrive within 7-10 days after approval. In total, it is likely for your OPT application to take 90-120 days.

In order to request an expedite the student must meet one of the following criteria:
*Severe financial loss to company or individual
*Humanitarian situation
*U.S. Department of Defense or national interest situation (Note: Request must come from an official U.S. Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
*USCIS error

After you file an expedite....

USCIS will email you the results of your expedite request. If the expedite is approved, it is normally processed within 3-7 days of the request, and the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) arrives within normal mailing time. You may not work until the EAD arrives. If the expedite is denied, your application will be returned to the queue where it was before.