OPT or H1B

mas000

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am to graduate in May 2007 and start work in July or September (the choice has been left to me).
My employer is taking action to change me to an H1B visa at the current time but I've heard starting on OPT has its advantages (i have no idea why though). I can go ahead and start applying for OPT if it becomes necessary. Can anyone confirm or deny that? I would like to know what is the best course of action...

Thanks for the help...

Mas

yes you should apply for OPT. OPT allows you to work for any company within the industry you are trained for. Thus if you don't end up liking your new firm, you can easily move to another firm. OPT is kind of similar to a 1 year green card in that regard.

An H1B is completely dependent on the employer. so if you decide to leave the employer, you must get a new H!B from another company. - not an easy task.

H1Bs are in very short supply and even if you get one for the next USICS fiscal year (Oct-Oct), you will still be unable to start work until Oct07.

the best plan is to get OPT, and then apply for H1B.

thnx

thnx for that reply..that was crystal clear...
a couple more questions if i may:

1- on my OPT status, i will remain an F-1, isn't that correct?
2- My employer said i can start July or September, how is that possible?

Thnx again!

h4 to h1

Hi all,
does a h4 visa need to change visa to h1 inorder to enter a scientific research career?
or
can a h4 stay as H4 n get work permit alone to take up research?
or
do u know about the general procedure?
Can u help with answers ASAP?
thnx