One year stay in the US, non-american husband

K1mb3rlyD

Hello!
I am an American with a Spanish husband and 2 American children. Our permanent residence is in Spain. I really want to take a sabbatical year in the US but financially, my husband would need to be able to work.
I understand that I can apply for the K-3 visa but only apply for I-765 (work authorization) after it is granted. Can this be applied for while abroad too? I understand that it can take up to 7 months to process and if we are only there a year, it would make no sense. What options are there for him to get a non-permanent visa with work authorization BEFORE moving there?? Are there any options? I have been reading and reading and it is not clear to me...
thanks for your help!! We are in no hurry but I want to have an idea of time frames to make appropriate plans.
thanks!!

The only way you spouse can legally stay and work in the US, outside of you sponsoring him for a spousal visa will be for him to find a company that is willing to sponsor him for a work visa.

Yep, spousal visa = GC. So only option like previously stated is to be sponsored for a work visa by a company willing to employ him.

Why not a marriage visa? Is he married to someone else? work Visa will take years. A couple of months really?. I'm mind blown why you want a work visa.. something fishy about this

We have been married since 2008. I live abroad but want my kids to experience a year in my country. Work permission is not phishy, it is necessary for financial reasons and, of course, a year is a long time to not have something to do outside of the house. In any regard, my husband has a permanent job here, we both do. We are looking to take a sabbatical year. Seems strange to me that that would seem odd..

We have been married since 2008. I live abroad but want my kids to experience a year in my country. Work permission is not phishy, it is necessary for financial reasons and, of course, a year is a long time to not have something to do outside of the house. In any regard, my husband has a permanent job here, we both do. We are looking to take a sabbatical year. Seems strange to me that that would seem odd..

i think that poster clearly didn’t read your first post properly! It’s quite clear what you are trying to do..unfortunately... there is no visa that covers that. Your husband depending what he does might try for something like a J1, unfortunately, the chances of getting it with a USC wife are small as they will probably think you are trying to short cut the normal spouse visa process - even though that’s not your intention. Too many others have done just that so it’s harder for genuine applicants...