Once I-485 approved and GC what next?

pmpforgc

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends

I and my family member just received our cards today ( EB-2 Sch-A 22 Aug 2006 India) Thanks for all your supportin this difficult journey.

I have last few questions regarding GC.

Once your I-485 is approved and GC received -

1) Is it neccessary to get stamped in passport, even if you get actual green cards?

(2) What happens to your I-94's that you currently have, if you dont go for stamping?

(3) How long one needs to stay with sposoring employer before changing job (after getting actual GC)?

Hope guidance from experienced members

thanks

1) Is it neccessary to get stamped in passport, even if you get actual green cards?

No.

What happens to your I-94's that you currently have, if you dont go for stamping?

You can give them back when you leave the US.

How long one needs to stay with sposoring employer before changing job (after getting actual GC)?

For a reasonable amount of time. The consensus is that less than 90 days would not be reasonable, but opinions start to diverge after that point.

Dear friends

I and my family member just received our cards today ( EB-2 Sch-A 22 Aug 2006 India) Thanks for all your supportin this difficult journey.

I have last few questions regarding GC.

Once your I-485 is approved and GC received -

--NO
(2) What happens to your I-94's that you currently have, if you dont go for stamping?
----------------Give when next time you go out
(3) How long one needs to stay with sposoring employer before changing job (after getting actual GC)?
-----------many lawyer say 6 month
Hope guidance from experienced members

thanks

*** apply for new SSN Card to remove the Restrictions
** fill up new I-9 form with your HR

Is it necessary to fill-up a new I-9? I gave my employer a copy of my green card when I got it but I was not asked to fill a new I-9.

Is it necessary to fill-up a new I-9? I gave my employer a copy of my green card when I got it but I was not asked to fill a new I-9.

You should fill out a new I-9, but there's no penalty (to you) if you don't. The employer would get into trouble if ICE ever audits them, and therefore I'm puzzled why they feel you don't need to fill out a new one.

Hi Ginnu,
What do you mean by "apply for new SSN Card to remove the Restrictions "?
Even if you have a SSN, you should apply for a new SSN?

Please clarify.

After getting GC can I start my SECOND employment?

Hi

I just got my GC.

I plan to continue for working for my Sponsoring employer for atleast 9 months.

But I want to Start Working with OTHER employment, not related to my skills or qualifcations ( say McDonalds !!) keeping my current employment as such.

Is it OK from immigration and other perspectives?

Hope for input from senior and experienced members.

Thanks

What do you mean by "apply for new SSN Card to remove the Restrictions "? Even if you have a SSN, you should apply for a new SSN?

You don't apply for a new SSN, just a new card that doesn't say "VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION". It's not strictly speaking necessary (since your Green Card is USCIS authorization to work) but it allows you to fill out an I-9 with only a Driver's License and your SSN card.

Hi Ginnu,
What do you mean by "apply for new SSN Card to remove the Restrictions "?

-to remove Restrictions, Check your SSN card it has Restrictions on it"VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" if you apply new SSN card Restrictions will be removed from SSN card and they will send you new SSN card without Restrictions
Even if you have a SSN, you should apply for a new SSN?
--------------------YES apply for new SSN Card to remove the Restrictions, GC holder SSN card will have no Restrictions on it and SSA data base will be updated with your A# as Green Card holder. once get Citizenship again apply for SSN card they will update the data in SSA database showing you as US citizen
Please clarify.

-----------

Last edited by a moderator:
YES apply for new SSN Card to remove the Restrictions, GC holder SSN card will have no Restrictions on it and SSA data base will be updated with your A# as Green Card holder. once get Citizenship again apply for SSN card they will update the data in SSA database showing to as US citizen

what is the need to do this..

to remove the Restrictions on SSN card

I got my GC lately and haven't applied for new SSN card. Following is my question:

My name in SSN is FFFFFFF LLLLLLLL
My name in my GC is FFFFFFF LLLLLLLL M

Would it cause any issues if i try to apply for new SSN card?

I got my GC lately and haven't applied for new SSN card. Following is my question:

My name in SSN is FFFFFFF LLLLLLLL
My name in my GC is FFFFFFF LLLLLLLL M

Would it cause any issues if i try to apply for new SSN card?

fill up the new form with name as on GC, name should match with your Passport and GC