On O-1 visa currently, found a waiver job, how do I handle the transition?

angio

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I am currently on an O-1 visa, and have only been on it for 4 months. I have found a great job that also provides a waiver of my J-1 2YHRR. I have given my employer my 6 month notice and have signed a contract with the new employer. The tricky situation is that I will finish working in March and not start until May. Do I need to leave the US and wait until the waiver job starts? Can I just keep the O-1 visa until the change of status occurs? Do I have to leave and re-enter as a tourist in the meantime?
Any insights are much appreciated!

Hi everyone,
I am currently on an O-1 visa, and have only been on it for 4 months. I have found a great job that also provides a waiver of my J-1 2YHRR. I have given my employer my 6 month notice and have signed a contract with the new employer. The tricky situation is that I will finish working in March and not start until May. Do I need to leave the US and wait until the waiver job starts? Can I just keep the O-1 visa until the change of status occurs? Do I have to leave and re-enter as a tourist in the meantime?
Any insights are much appreciated!

What will your new employer apply for immigrant ot nonimmigrant status and specific category?