On a cruise (Bahamas) using RTD/ no green card.

gandrud

Registered Users (C)
I think this is a great information and that's why I will share with you guys.

I'm an asylee and 2 weeks ago I booked a cruise from Miami to the Bahamas. I was a little scared because I don't have a GC however I decided to take a shot.

I called the Bahamian Consulate in L.A and some lady told me: "You do need a visa if you use the RTD". But she was full of SH** I had no problem at all! No visa! I showed the girl my RTD, she scanned it and that's it. Coming back, the IO looked at it and said "Welcome back" :) He didn't ask me ANYTHING! I mean ANYTHING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether you got lucky or not we'll never know.

But this is yet another example of Consulate and border controls disconnect. I had the same experience years ago when i was traveling to Europe, I called 3 different consulates for Spain and got 3 different answers.

I don't think she is full of sh*t as you stated, I think our cases are so rare in the giant pool of the world there is bound to be craziness like this.

Hmm, maybe you got lucky in the Bahamas. Have you considered that?

Did you already go to Norway?

Hey Cafe, how are ya? I'm going next month and im very excited.

Regarding the Bahamas: They only check your RTD in Miami. The check in lady said that Bahamas doesn't care if you have visa or not because when you get there you don;t go through immigration. The ship stops and you are out on the street. and you don't need a visa if you are staying less than 24hrs.

They only care if you can come back to the USA...as long you have a valid document to be allowed back in the country, you are fine!