Offer Letter with TN Documentation

isabel18

In all my previous 4-5 visits to the border - an Offer letter has been part of my documentation along with the TN application.

For my new offer - the company Lawyers say that the an offer letter is not part of the standard documentation for a TN application and hence they do not want me to take an offer letter to the border.

Is this true?
Will this work? Is there a possibility of me being turned back - if the officer asks for an offer letter and I am not carrying one?
Have folks on this forum - tried going for a TN with just a TN application?

Please let me know.

Last edited:
The offer letter was always extraneous (just like a resume is completely useless). Even if an offer letter usually contains much of the information required for a TN letter, it never has everything that is needed. In this case, your lawyers are right.

Thank you Nelsona for the quick response.

Then does the TN application need to mention my Start Date?

The lawyers are filing my TN under CSA .

Under the main responsibilities and duties they mention:
I will be developing / maintaining and troubleshooting software ...do these qualify under CSA ?

Your TN letter should simply state the duration, however having a start date is not wrong. The start date is implied to be the day you show up at the border.

I'm sure the lawyers have looked at the description for CSA -- ask them.
More importantly, does your degree match CSA?

My degree is a Bachelor of commerce (From India) - it is evaluated

They are trying to file under CSA - but mentioning the duties of a Software Engineer ... becoz that's what my offer letter says...

They don't want me to take the offer letter to the border which is ok ...but if you are filing under CSA anyways at least show the duties+responsibilities of a CSA..

yeah I don't know whether I should even try my luck at the border..

TN Category, job responsibilities/description and your degree should match. If not, TN will most likely be denied.