OCI ripoff by Indian High Commission in London

nkm-oct23

Registered Users (C)
The Indian High Commission in London is charging all visa applicants of Indian origin an additional £90 ($180) for renouncing their Indian citizenship!

They will keep your Indian passport and issue a "surrender certificate".

See link below. It won't be long before other Indian posts start doing the same.

Those thinking of applying for OCI or Indian visas should do so ASAP!

http://hcilondon.in/notice.php

The Indian High Commission in London is charging all visa applicants of Indian origin an additional £90 ($180) for renouncing their Indian citizenship!

They will keep your Indian passport and issue a "surrender certificate".

See link below. It won't be long before other Indian posts start doing the same.

Those thinking of applying for OCI or Indian visas should do so ASAP!

http://hcilondon.in/notice.php

I thought the bad economy was hitting only the United States. Is this a real site?

Overseas Citizenship of India( OCI) issues

OCI APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO SURRENDER THEIR INDIAN PASSPORTS TO PASSPORT SECTION AS PER INSTRUCTIONS CONTAINED ON OUR WEBSITE [“Public notice-NOTICE” ON HOME PAGE] AND SUBMIT COPY OF SURRENDER CERTIFICATE ALONGWITH THEIR OCI APPLICATIONS. THOSE APPLICANTS WHO HAVE EVER HELD INDIAN PASSPORTS AND ARE UNABLE TO PRODUCE THE SAME FOR SURRENDER FOR ANY REASON (LOSS/ MISPLACEMENT/ SUBMITTED TO HOME OFFICE LONG TIME BACK) ARE REQUIRED TO FURNISH A NOTARISED AFFIDAVIT (IF THE PASSPORT IS ALREADY EXPIRED) AND ALSO POLICE REPORT (IN CASES WHERE INDIAN PASSPORT WAS STILL VALID).

[FOR SECURITY REASONS OCI APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED AT THE COUNTER, FROM THE APPLICANTS 0NLY AND NOT THROUGH THIRD PARTY. THOSE WHO CANNOT COME MAY SEND BY POST WHICH WILL RECEIVE DUE PRIORITY—INCONVENIENCE REGRETTED]

It says send it by post if applicant is unable to come at High Commiission and that will receive due priority, but that is a nonsanse,it takes ages and I am not pleased with it as no other family mamber can take it for his family member either.
Indian Government asking for surrender and to pay £90 for that, I do not understand why, I think it is just another money grabbing con.

what happens if they do not surrender their passport and submit this fee as we in US do not do that

what happens if they do not surrender their passport and submit this fee as we in US do not do that

I am not sure what they will do. What are the times they can trouble you?
#1. When you need a visa or PIO or OCI from them. Of course, then you have no recourse but to do what they want.
#2. Travel anywhere in the world except India. They can not do anything then.
#3. Do not travel. Again, they can not do anything.
So unless you need to travel to India ... there's not much they can do.