OCI Form A Online Insecure

vw95gls

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
The Online page for the OCI FormA is insecure. I tried mailing in Part A as the website said I could do, but the NYC Consulate just returned back the whole package asking me to apply online. Given that you need to enter so many personal details, it sucks that you have to do it online, where anyone can get hold of your personal info.

Comments - Solutions appreciated.

-SR

vw95gls said:
Hello,
The Online page for the OCI FormA is insecure. I tried mailing in Part A as the website said I could do, but the NYC Consulate just returned back the whole package asking me to apply online. Given that you need to enter so many personal details, it sucks that you have to do it online, where anyone can get hold of your personal info.

Comments - Solutions appreciated.

-SR

Unfortunately I dont think theres much of a choice in this regard...But i always thought there was a non-online application available.

But the information is quite secure in that no one can recover this info unless they have your ref no and date of birth.Once you print out the form it is locked in and no one can edit the data.I tired many things like going back on the browser,retyping the same link,trying to access the page from the history and cache records etc and could not.

Online registration is of benefit in that the MHA gets a direct copy of your Part A so there is less chance of an error.

What I meant was that the webpage you enter information is not secure (i.e: it doesnt have a https - it only has http). So, the path between your computer and the MHA server is insecure, and anyone malicious could grab the unencrypted data you send.

But, you're right in the fact, that we dont have much choice. I dont suppose there's any way to get the babu's at MHA of their comfortable chairs to do this right. We should just be thankful they even got this scheme up and running.

-SR

Last edited by a moderator:
Another privacy issue

In fact that was my concern as well. The site is not secured. I did not have a choice, but to take a chance, as SF consulate requires you to submit Part A online.

Another thing I am concerned about is that once the OCI is approved, why do they have to put file numbers and full names on their website for the whole world to know that you got OCI?. Instead they can privately notify us via email or regular mail.

GeeC said:
In fact that was my concern as well. The site is not secured. I did not have a choice, but to take a chance, as SF consulate requires you to submit Part A online.

Another thing I am concerned about is that once the OCI is approved, why do they have to put file numbers and full names on their website for the whole world to know that you got OCI?. Instead they can privately notify us via email or regular mail.

They are doing that because people like you will not believe it when they say 'we have processed x applications this month', if they inform you in private.

Special News Bulletin about OCI

Here's a bulletin I got today about the OCI. Nothing new - just a FYI. Plus, it
mentions that the MHA has been apprised about the insecure website.

Interesting - that they're still calling it by its misnomer - "Dual Citizenship".
And I found this hilarious.... Minister Ravi said that "his ministry proposed few changes to Home Ministry to make the process simple". I wonder if he means that he suggested "A few changes" to make it easier OR that he didnt have any original thoughts about the whole scheme and his ministry "had FEW or No changes".

Anyway, here's the entire post.....

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:24:05 -0400
Subject: Proposed changes make Dual Citizenship Easy - NRI Minister Ravi
To: INDNET@LISTSERV.INDNET.ORG

Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]
SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN - INDIA NETWORK
July 3, 2006
Minister for Overseas Indians, Government of India, Honorable V Ravi
met with a group of community leaders in Orlando, Florida. To a
question by Dr. KV Rao, President, India Network, Minister Ravi
announced that his ministry proposed few changes to Home Ministry to
make the process simple to enable many NRIs around the world to seek
dual citizenship with India. Dr. Rao also brought to the attention of
the Minister about an insecure web site setup by the Ministry for
completing Dual Citizenship forms. Minister Ravi and Mr. S. M Gavai,
Consulate General of India, Houston informed that they are aware of
the security issues related to the web site and informed the
management of the web site about the security problems. Hopefully, the
problem will be rectified soon.

Minister Ravi announced that his Ministry is working on a proposal
with PM Singh's encouragement to cater to the educational needs of NRI
children by establishing world class University. Several states
offered land and resources for the proposed University.Thus University
primarily cater to NRI children but also will have local students from
within the country in a highly competitive admission process. Minister
Ravi welcome intellectuals in USA and other countries to visit.

Minister Ravi encouraged all Non Resident Indians with any kind of
problems to approach his Ministry for assistance at the following
address and his ministry would be happy to assist.

Vayalar Ravi, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs
Government of India
Akbar Bhawan
New Delhi - 110021
Ph: 24676837, 24676839
Fax: 24197985
SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN FROM INDIA NETWORK

hipka said:
They are doing that because people like you will not believe it when they say 'we have processed x applications this month', if they inform you in private.

Stay away if you have nothing constructive to add. :mad: