OCI-CGI Toronto - tired of waiting

s_shah

I submitted OCI application in 2004 with photocopies of my Canadian Passport and cancelled Indian passport. I am a PIO card holder but didn't submit photocopy of PIO at that time as application was submitted as per old guidelines which didn't require me to submit photocopy of PIO card. I haven't heard from Consulate office in Toronto since. Please advise if I should submit a new application as under new procedure processing on average doesn't take more than 3 months. I get 'File Number Does Not Exist' message when I check status online on http://www.mha.nic.in/oci/oci-main.htm. I think they probably have lost my application. Whenever I contact (email) consulate for status, this is the response I keep getting from them.

"Thanks for your mail. The applications for OCI submitted in 2004 or early 2005 are being dealt with by the Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi. Once we hear from them, we would let you know. You need not re apply in the new scheme."

Any suggestions on how to followup on this will be appreciated.

status has not been upgraded to "Granted"

Thanks Mangal969 for the response. I checked the link provided by you however couldn't find answer there. This is what it says there, "Who to contact for OCI status information. Please make inquiries with these people only after a reasonable time frame has passed after your status has been upgraded to "Granted" and you have received no communication from your embassy regarding pickup.If you contact them prior to you being alloted "Granted status" they will not be able to help you. 1.Ms Vanaja Thekkat, Undersecretary, Ministry of External Affiars E-mail:usnri@mea.gov.in"

In my case I haven't been alloted 'granted status'. In fact when I check my file number online I get 'File Number Does Not Exist' message. Following is the latest communication/response I got from consulate staff.

"Thanks for your mail. I am sorry that about 140 applications of that period are still pending. They have generally told that there is problem with the applications or the photos. We have asked them specific information what the problem is and are awaiting that. We have taken up the matter at higher levels"

Any suggestions/help on how to effectively followup on this will be really appreciated.

Sorry for the late response.Contact Ms Thekkat as your application is being processed by them only.
Though I guess at this point you would have received a response from someone by now.

This is a genaral question and people from other cities might want to chime in.

I am in Toronto.
My status shows as granted, documents printed and sent from NDelhi on Aug 3, 2006. After despatch from NDelhi, how long should I wait?

Will the consulate contact me or do I just go in after a reasonable amount of time, say 3-4 weeks?

Thanks

I had a similar problem, although fortunately, my wait was not as long. Still, while other applications with file numbers close to mine were getting approved within a month, I got worried when mine was dragging on to two and three months. I just inundated whoever I could find with e-mails -- Chicago, New York, Thekkat. Evenutally, I got through to someone. After three and a half months, my status is "granted."

Well,

on friday Sep 1, after failing to contact anyone at the consulate by phone, I thought I would just go and find out myself. I took a printout of the OCI status form which showed all the details. And that its been 1 month since date of despatch from New Delhi. the lady at first said that unless it shows as received, there is nothing she could do. But after some pleading she let me in and anothwer officer basically said that it can take sometime for them to arrive and after arrival it takes about 10 days for them to update the system as received.
She told me not to worry and that once the status shows as "Received", to contact the consulate.

Kind of a wasted trip.

I noticed the only person designated to handle incoming phone calls was actually NOT answering anyone of them :D , I was talking to her all along and she just let the phone ring. No wonder the the few times I did get throug it went to the voicemail.