Obtained my first TN status and sharing my experience with all of you.

Jill_igby

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience of obtaining my first TN status and hoping this might help others.

1. I found a job with a title that didn't EXACTLY match for TN status, but the job description was very close and almost exact. So I typed up the TN letter with exact title that qualifies me to get TN status and asked my potential employer to sign on it.

2. I asked senior members of this forum such as simsd, nelsona, TNDV2008 and others (THANK YOU GUYS!!! You guys are awesome!) if the documents are as it should be. (some are posted)

3. simsd suggested me to call ahead and try to make an appointment with them, which was a GREAT idea. BTW (I went to PEACE bridge). I called in advance and asked if I can make an appointment and fax my documents but they said they don't do that. However, the guy I was on the phone with went through my documents and asked several questions and told me it should be ok. THIS made me more confident and I was more than ready for all the questions expected when I was at the border.

Numbers to call http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml

4. I brought bunch of documents but all they asked was
a. TN Letter
b. Diploma (because my diploma doesn't state my Major they asked for my transcript)
c. Passport
5. Questions asked at the border:
a. Why are you here? ---- I am here to apply for TN status etc....
b. Where will you be working?----such such company located in such area
c. What will you be doing? ----I stated all my duties
d. Have you ever applied for TN status?---Never
e. Have a seat! Lets see what I can do!.... about 2 minutes later he asked me to pay $56 and that was it.

6. I applied for TN 9 days before the start date. I think the important thing is you just have to have a letter that has exact title that matches the TN list of professions and of course that should match your degree.

If I am missing anything you are welcome to ask.

Once again, I thank everyone who answered all my questions and willingness to help.

Good info.

Confirm for others that your TN, despite having a future starting date, was issued with an expiry date 3-years from the date you got it, not 3-years from the actual start date.

Valid Period

Correct!! Valid period was from the day I got the TN for 2 years (My contract is for 2 years). Not from the start date of work.

Jill and I spoke and she did exactly everything I suggested. One of the main issues with the TN is as she said getting the job to match the list of TN qualifications.

Many people on TN's are either engineers or accountants. Those jobs are generally straight forward. The letters usually say " we need an engineer to perform blah, blah, blah". But when it comes to some of the other TN professions, things are not always straight forward.

So let's say someone was hired as a Market Analyst. What would the qualifications be? Business degree? MBA? Economics? How about if you had an Arts degree with Economics as the major? Economist is on the list. How about an Economist to perform Market Analysis. Isn't that the reason a company someone would need someone with an economics degree? Seems reasonable to me.

Also, Jill had a very solid package together with all of the correct paper work, and properly worded letter that we reviewed in advance. We made a few changes and all was good.

Lastly the calling ahead is a huge deal as this can really put you at ease once you get someone on the phone. Also, try and get a name of the officer whenever you go so that you can deal with them once you get there.

You also want to make sure you are going to the right POE. Another poster was about to go to the POE that they thought would work. Turns out it was shipping port and they had no idea what a TN was. When they found the right POE everything went great and without a hitch.

So for those of you that insist on using a title that doesn't match, and think it can't be done, think again. And if you think all you need is a diploma and a vague letter - well you know what I mean.

Good work Jill and congratulations.

If I may add my experience.

Congrats Jill.

I went to Pearson Airport and got my TN Yesterday 18 Jan, 2009.
I went with the package the company lawyer sent me and many other supporting documents (originals/copies) if required.
The package had all relevant Offer letters/copies of my Passport/Transcripts/Degrees/Company details.
The Officer asked 2 questions:
1) What is the position you will be working?
2) Have you been to US before?

After that it took 5 minutes and $56 (No cash, he requested I pay by CC) to issue the I-94 with a 3 Year period. My Joining date is tomorrow.

A Big Thanks again to all for the answers and feedback on this board.

I have a few more questions post TN.
1) In case of a lay off, what is the procedure for extending you stay and be in status?
2) Do I need to carry my Passport all the time as proof of purpose of my stay in US?
3) Are regular trips back and forth to Canada advised and what documents would I need to carry when reentering US?

Thanks

mercury6

What was your position that you applied for? Was it something unusual? Or straightforward?

Hi guys
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
my question is ,can we get the TN visa in POE and stay in canada (without entering to us) for one day to pack the stuff and luggages?
i am afraid if i go with all my things packed and ready , it may gives the officer in the POE the feeling that i have been so sure of getting the visa, and it may cause a bad effect.
usually what people do?
i have kids and there is no way that they could leave some of their personals behind!

It has been reported on this board that people have applied for their TN then, upon approval, spent a few hours in the U.S. before returning to give their notice to their current employer and preparing for the move.

I got the TN for new job yesterday. Because I recently obtained TN they didn't ask much. Just like Nelsona said that I am doing the same thing and everything is same therefore they pretty much printed the card and asked me to pay $56.

thanks

So Jill, now you've learned to relax about all of this and understand that the CBP guys are not looking into why or how many jobs you have had or are looking at. As I said before - you have a solid package which consists of a correctly worded letter, transcripts etc. And preparation for the border visit - you will be giving advice soon to all of the people on this board. Now you know how to get TN's all day long and can get as many as you want as often as you want.

Hi guys
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
my question is ,can we get the TN visa in POE and stay in canada (without entering to us) for one day to pack the stuff and luggages?
i am afraid if i go with all my things packed and ready , it may gives the officer in the POE the feeling that i have been so sure of getting the visa, and it may cause a bad effect.
usually what people do?
i have kids and there is no way that they could leave some of their personals behind!

This was what I did when I applied for my first TN.
I got my TN at the border and then drove to another place (a short distance from POE to that office) to apply for SSN. Unfortunately the office was closed so I had to go back Canada. Next day I drove across the border again to submit my SSN application. After that I went back Canada and flied to US a week later.
Hope this information help

I got the TN for new job yesterday. Because I recently obtained TN they didn't ask much. Just like Nelsona said that I am doing the same thing and everything is same therefore they pretty much printed the card and asked me to pay $56.

thanks

Jill, Do you have to notify USCIS of any change in your residential address?
I first checked into a Hotel for a few weeks and now I am in an Appartment.
Do I have to report such a change?

Thanks

simsd, yes i am now very familiar with TN application. You guys helped me a lot and now I will try to help out others too...

mercury6, I was living in USA before obtaining TN status, so I don't really know if you should let them know. You can call the border officers 7days a week 24 hours a day. They will tell you exactly what you should do. Link is posted on the very first post.
They are pretty cool when you call them and ask questions.

Jill

...I asked senior members of this forum such as simsd, nelsona, TNDV2008 ... (THANK YOU GUYS!!! You guys are awesome!) ...

Once again, I thank everyone who answered all my questions and willingness to help.

Why Thank you Jill...I'm glad everything worked out...oh, and I am deeply humbled that you would include me in the list of the *great* ones i.e. Simsd & Nelsona....these guys have very big shoes that my size 12 feet cannot fill...yet :)