NYT article on immigration reform

I think this article is of interest to some of you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/us/politics/09immig.html?hp

Obama is setting himself up for failure. The Economy is bad and no way that American Public would want to legalize millions of illegal immigrants and bring them out of the shadows to work legitmately. I heard yesterday that the H1b cap is still not full and usually the quota is met in first few days. Many companies are shying away from foreign workers.

Point being, Imagine introducing 10-20 million workers in this economy who can vouch for any jobs as a legal resident/citizen. Will unemployment soar then? Right now the illegals are doing the work at any rate they get at..then when they have rights, they will raise their voices and could file for unemployment if they are not happy with a 4.50 job at a local mcdonalds...I am all for immigration reform but the economy needs to be good to handle it.

Obama is setting himself up for failure. The Economy is bad and no way that American Public would want to legalize millions of illegal immigrants and bring them out of the shadows to work legitmately. I heard yesterday that the H1b cap is still not full and usually the quota is met in first few days. Many companies are shying away from foreign workers.

Point being, Imagine introducing 10-20 million workers in this economy who can vouch for any jobs as a legal resident/citizen. Will unemployment soar then?

My personal opinion is that it is not the time for something as big as immigration reform. Obama is already doing too much and is courting some big failures. But this guy has surprised me before with what he could accomplish.

PS: In a time like these companies should have a moral obligation to hire American workers first before they do any H1b sponsorship.

For the selfish reason to all immigrants still waiting in the pipeline, this is not a great idea.

Recent improvement in the immigration process coincides with downturn economy, increased government spending (government jobs), raised fees and no extra burden for USCIS. I have no doubt if this is passed, the process will again be extended to well over one year for legal immigrants.

For the selfish reason to all immigrants still waiting in the pipeline, this is not a great idea.

Recent improvement in the immigration process coincides with downturn economy, increased government spending (government jobs), raised fees and no extra burden for USCIS. I have no doubt if this is passed, the process will again be extended to well over one year for legal immigrants.

The USCIS is incapable of processing another 20 million applications.

How about the revival of 4-year waiting for LPRs? Then all my siblings will be able to file this year, and hopefully, all should be USC by year-end.

At that time, I would kiss them and say good-bye.:D:D:D:D

what about eliminating the I-9? That way anybody can apply for any job.
Let close the USCIS so we save some money. That maybe another way to improve the free market idea so every one can compete to find a job based on you skills NOT your citizenship status.
Let me know what you think???
The immigration system continue to become so complex and there's every types of visas around from A to Z.
we need to make it easy. The immigration court is full, the detentions centers the same.

what about eliminating the I-9? That way anybody can apply for any job.
Let close the USCIS so we save some money. That maybe another way to improve the free market idea so every one can compete to find a job based on you skills NOT your citizenship status.
Let me know what you think???
The immigration system continue to become so complex and there's every types of visas around from A to Z.
we need to make it easy. The immigration court is full, the detentions centers the same.

yeah right.

NYT Article

I am an immigrant and I would want people in the shadows to have a way out but I too do not believe the time is right to take on immigration reform yet_ At least not in the comprehensive way that is needed.I believe the president needs to be careful he does not squander the political capital he now has.

Barack Obama is very smart and he understands that it is the best time to act and fix the immigration system.

Like American people, like other immigrants who have a chance to legalize their status, these 20 million immigrants should have an opportunity to enter in the system, have a decent paycheck, and support their families.

It's a moral obligation for American companies to create jobs, not to discriminate people on basis of nationality, race, sex, gender, or religion.

Barack Obama is very smart and he understands that it is the best time to act and fix the immigration system.

Like American people, like other immigrants who have a chance to legalize their status, these 20 million immigrants should have an opportunity to enter in the system, have a decent paycheck, and support their families.

It's a moral obligation for American companies to create jobs, not to discriminate people on basis of nationality, race, sex, gender, or religion.

Agree, the more the merrier, more people = better economy

look at China

Agree, the more the merrier, more people = better economy

I agree somewhat, but scenario of china and USA is totally different as you know.

There are lots of issue, but senate is not that open as we think. I have a feeling this issue of many years will still be in effect for many more years. I am a optimist but have little hope in this matter.

I'm not a political expert at all but I expect that USA will be in better situation than China with increased Population due to the more "justice" regulations in USA

OK, I said China because it is famous of high Population , but look at it "good economy"

a good economy? where at least twenty million people have lost their jobs in a system that does not have a safety net? where a dicatorship, unprepared for the seriousness of this downturn, is deeply worried about its political survival? Where the central military command tells it soliders to cancel personal vacations in case they are needed to shoot the Chinese people? where the government locks up every single real or imagined potential trouble maker? where so many Chinese people go abroad and apply for asylum?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think china is in good economy due to export. but as it gets developed the labor goes up ....hard to compete then...
I don't know details but the current trend of china's financial development will stop after some time, if it continues to rely on export based on low cost labor.

China displays some bizarre pattern in terms of huge gap between the rich and poor, rural and urban....

Honestly, Chinese asylees too display some bizarre pattern in their behavior after asylum grant or green card approval. Look at all those cases pending BIA and Circuit Court.... Yes, 30% of all asylees are from China, still the cases of revoking those status are disproportionally large....

a good economy? where at least twenty million people have lost their jobs in a system that does not have a safety net? where a dicatorship, unprepared for the seriousness of this downturn, is deeply worried about its political survival? Where the central military command tells it soliders to cancel personal vacations in case they are needed to shoot the Chinese people? where the government locks up every single real or imagined potential trouble maker? where so many Chinese people go abroad and apply for asylum?

China is in good economy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_People's_Republic_of_China despite its high population

its population could be the reason behind the good economy.

As for the problems that they are having and the Asylum cases "bad government" this is something else , has nothing to do with economy.

China is in good economy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_People's_Republic_of_China despite its high population

its population could be the reason behind the good economy.

As for the problems that they are having and the Asylum cases "bad government" this is something else , has nothing to do with economy.

As a Chinese person I find the claim that China has a "good economy" to be silly. That country's per capita GDP ranks like 100th or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: