NYC InfoPass Update

Vorpal

Registered Users (C)
I just got back from my InfoPass appointment at 26 Federal Plaza. The purpose of this appointment was to find out if my name check has been cleared. After waiting an hour and a half, I was finally given the answer that I so desperately wanted to find out. My name check has been cleared, and I am currently in queue for an interview. According to the IO, I should be receiving an IL in about 1-2 months (standard answer?). As some of the regulars on this forum already know, I am Russian, and Russians are known to get stuck in name check rather frequently. To provide some additional info that MartinAub pointed out in a recent post, I'm 29 years old, entered the U.S. with my parents (as refugees) in 1989, have been a permanent resident since 1990, and have only been out of the country once (5 day trip to Bahamas in May 2006) since my initial arrival. Anyway...a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Now for some information related to the actual InfoPass process. My appointment was scheduled for 7:30 A.M., so as not to take time off work. Upon arrival, I checked in at a DMV-style service counter, where I was issued a number and instructed to go to the 3rd Floor (Room 3-120). The room was already packed, and I waited about an hour to be called. When I explained to the IO that I'd like to get my name check status, she redirected me to the 7th Floor, which is where the citizenship unit is located. She also rerouted my service number there. After waiting for about 10 minutes, my number was called. My suggestion is to bring a book or some reading materials, as you should expect to wait about an hour or so. Cell phones are allowed to be brought into the building, although they must be turned off. In fact, a security guard will make you take your phone out and make you turn it off. That's about it.

I wish you the best. I hope they were right for your sake.

For the waiting time. Kinda sad. You schedule an appointment and make you wait 90 min but if you are late you are screwed, lol :eek:

Great news Vorpal, that must be a load off.

The 1-2 month ETA is reassuring, given that you applied well after the July crush. We know that they're working on those later July applications now, so maybe they actually have a sense of how long it will take to get through them? Hopefully its not a "standard answer," as you say (if it were, wouldn't they stick to their "540 day" timeline?).

I wish you the best. I hope they were right for your sake.

For the waiting time. Kinda sad. You schedule an appointment and make you wait 90 min but if you are late you are screwed, lol :eek:

As always, thanks for the kind words! Even if it takes longer than promised for the IL to arrive, at least I know that my name check has been cleared. In all honesty, this was the single component of the naturalization process that worried me to no end. Now the waiting game truly begins!

I was expecting to wait about 90 minutes. Considering the fact that most people reported doing their FPs in 10-15 minutes, while NYC takes about 2 hours, I was prepared to wait at InfoPass as well!

Congrats..1 question

Hi Vorpal,

Congratulations..you are one of the chosen ones who didnt get stuck in namecheck:)

JUst curious..Is infopass a guarantee that we will find out about our namecheck status? I have read some experiences on this board that when people went for infopass they were not given any additional information that they could not find by calling Customer service.

Does it vary by region to region?

Regards

Hi Vorpal,

Congratulations..you are one of the chosen ones who didnt get stuck in namecheck:)

JUst curious..Is infopass a guarantee that we will find out about our namecheck status? I have read some experiences on this board that when people went for infopass they were not given any additional information that they could not find by calling Customer service.

Does it vary by region to region?

Regards

Actually, I think that only a few chosen ones DO get stuck in name check :) The majority of applicants clear the name check.

Truthfully, I don't know if InfoPass guarantees anything. I remember reading something about an InfoPass where no additional info was given, but I think it was a fluke. Maybe the IO got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning? Since you're speaking with an IO, he/she has access to all computerized details of your case file. The IO who was answering my questions asked to see my green card, and was able to tell me where my case is after just a few keystrokes. I'm still riding on the adrenaline rush that I got after the IO told me that my name check was cleared. Due to my nationality, I was positive that I'd get stuck.

Vorpal - great news, and congratulations to you from out here on the west coast! I know that must be a huge weight off your shoulders, and I actually think that the wait time they quoted you for the IL of 1-2 months is not as bad as it could be, given your PD of September 2007 (and the fact that your DO is New York). Hopefully, you will hear something by March and have your interview sometime in the Spring of this year.

The more I read on this forum, the more optimistic I am that the 16 - 18 months quoted by USCIS is an absolute worst case timeline being used primarily as a political tool to help manage expectations of both applicants and politicians.

You can take one whenever you want. I just decided to wait for a few weeks after my background check was initiated, in case I got snagged with a hit.
Okay which one should I select?

You need Service on a case that has already been filed

You are a new Permanent Resident and have not yet received your Permanent Resident Card

You want to file an application in person

You need information or other services

You need a form

Thanks.

Okay which one should I select?

You need Service on a case that has already been filed

You are a new Permanent Resident and have not yet received your Permanent Resident Card

You want to file an application in person

You need information or other services

You need a form

Thanks.

Select "You need information or other services".

Vorpal - great news, and congratulations to you from out here on the west coast! I know that must be a huge weight off your shoulders, and I actually think that the wait time they quoted you for the IL of 1-2 months is not as bad as it could be, given your PD of September 2007 (and the fact that your DO is New York). Hopefully, you will hear something by March and have your interview sometime in the Spring of this year.

The more I read on this forum, the more optimistic I am that the 16 - 18 months quoted by USCIS is an absolute worst case timeline being used primarily as a political tool to help manage expectations of both applicants and politicians.

Thanks! NYC is actually one of the fastest DOs in the nation, despite the fact that we have a huge immigrant population. This morning's news actually gave me hope that I'll be a citizen before my wedding this September. If it happens, I can't think of a better wedding present. Well, a month-long, island-hopping honeymoon in the Carribean is a close second!:D

I think the 16-18 month scenario is the worst case as well. There is no accurate way to gauge the amount of time that it would take to process applications that have barely been entered into the system. I strongly recommend InfoPass to anyone who is concerned with name check. It's a great way to get some peace of mind.

Congrats Vorpal!

You lucky guy .... you had so many posts about being stuck in name check and were whining about the Russian unique name ... maybe that's what saved you, your unique name!

BTW, did you check you case by calling a Customer Service Rep just before or anytime after your Infopass? I wonder if the Cust Rep guys can tell you if the name check has been cleared. My timeline is more or less similar to yours ... atleast the FP dates are close by and I'm still stuck in name check. I was wondering if the Cust Rep can tell you the namecheck clearance status. If you haven't called, can you call and check to see what those guys say? It will be very good info for all of us to know what all can they see.

Thanks a lot!

Congrats Vorpal!

You lucky guy .... you had so many posts about being stuck in name check and were whining about the Russian unique name ... maybe that's what saved you, your unique name!

Hahaha, me and a few others! (albertr, z350, a couple of other guys whose "names" I can't recall right now). In fact, I think albertr is the guy with a unique name who actually got stuck. Thanks to them, I was led to believe that I'm headed in the same direction. :)

BTW, did you check you case by calling a Customer Service Rep just before or anytime after your Infopass? I wonder if the Cust Rep guys can tell you if the name check has been cleared. My timeline is more or less similar to yours ... atleast the FP dates are close by and I'm still stuck in name check. I was wondering if the Cust Rep can tell you the namecheck clearance status. If you haven't called, can you call and check to see what those guys say? It will be very good info for all of us to know what all can they see.

Thanks a lot!

The only reason why I scheduled an InfoPass in the first place was because customer service flat out refused to connect me to an IO, even after I tried all the tricks previously discussed on this board. The service reps themselves only have access to the same information we do (case status online) and have no way of providing any information beyond that. I even tried telling them the truth (that I want to find out if my name check has been cleared) and asking nicely to be connectedto an IO, all to no avail. Basically, InfoPass is the only way to find out any pertinent information.

The service reps themselves only have access to the same information we do (case status online) and have no way of providing any information beyond that.

No, the Service reps have access to more information that what we see online. The online case status is an eye-wash. They don't have an IO level of detailed view, but definitely can see more that the online status. When I had called them last month, he was able to tell me that my wife has been scheduled for interview but I was in name check. The online status still says the app has been received for both of us.

Its good to know that you tried to ask the Cust Reps and they couldn't give you this info. Thanks a bunch!

Yes they can see more. I had my own experience with that ....

My Story, LOL

I live 2 hours away from my DO. I moved in Dec of 07 just 2 streets further because we got a bigger house onpost due to the fact that I was expecting another child. Anywho ... I sent in an AR-11 with return reciept which I got and I called USCIS.
A few days later I called them just to confirm that my Address had been really updated in the computer.
The Lady told me I am sorry I can only see what you can see on your online status and of course my dumb .... back then believed her so I scheduled an Infopass to make sure.
So I drove 2 hours to KC just to talk to a person for 5 min. He confirmed my Address and he also told me "YOU COULD OF SPARED THAT 4 HOUR ROUNDTRIP BY CALLING USCIS !!!!"
When I told him that they said they can't he said that is not true.
So on my way I went 2 hours back home really really really really really mad !!!!! :mad:

It could be that the customer service reps are purposely being a-holes. After all, I am sure that there's no such thing as quality control at the USCIS.