NSEER registration experiences

cerruti2827

Registered Users (C)
I would like to ask forum to share experiences with NSEER registration on departure from USA, specially at airports like Newark or Chicago?

any problems faced?

This happened to me at Newark Airport. After the check-in at the airline counter, I asked the check-in lady where I can go for my NSEERS/Special Registration for my exit/departure record. She had absolutely no idea and kept on confusing it with customs. Anyone else in my situation would have thought that this might not be needed, but I knew better, so I went to the customs desk and asked them for Special Registration again. They informed me that the special registration office does not open till later in the day and my flight was really early in the morning. I told them that according to the immigration regulations, I MUST go through special registration for a departure record or else I shall have problems coming back in. Luckily, one of the security guards asked someone in immigration about it and sent me there. This was the Secondary Inspection room in the Arrivals area of the airport. The lady there knew exactly what I was talking about and asked for my passport. I later complained to the airline that their staff should know better and guide the passengers properly for necessary security measures.

So make sure you ask to be sent to the NSEERS area even if they play ignorant and/or tell you it is not needed.

Stoned!

THanks. THis was very important information you shared. I think we should have a separate thread about NSEER expperiences.

WHen was this experience?

I see on web that Newark SPecial Registration office is open 24 hours!

DID you have any problems with the lady doign registration?

This happened in July 2008 and there were no problems. Yes, the NSEERS section should be open 24 hours, it is just that not everyone at the airport knows about it.

From what I could see, there was nothing in the departure section, so I had to go to the Arrivals area. I did see a sign for NSEERS, but that office was closed and the customs people mentioned it won't be open till later in the day. I was a little disappointed and was chatting with a security officer there explaining about special registration. He asked me to hold on for a minute and went to talk to someone. Later, he took me to a backroom where another officer asked me what I was looking for. I mentioned that I wanted to do my special registration as required by the NSEERS program. She forwarded me to an elevator in the back and asked me to go up. I ended up in the Secondary Inspection of the Arrivals area where the next lady helped me out.

My case was quite simple as I had received my GC and wanted them to make an entry in their records that I no longer needed to do special registration under my FIN. The immigration lady looked at my GC closely and said there was no need and I should be okay. I left shortly after and proceeded towards the departure lounge. If your case is simple, you should be okay.

Hope this info helped.

Stoned!