Non Canadian degree

Carmen123

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I have a non canadian bachellor's degree in computer science.
I did the equivalence here in Quebec and was given a 3 year bac in c s.

My questions:

1) Should that equivalence be enough to present in the POE to get a TN?

2) or should I get equivalence with the US for my degree?

I can’t tell you what you “need”. A POE officer once told me that no one can be guaranteed admission the only thing you can do is improve your chances of admission.

It depends on the job and the TN category you intend on applying. It also depends on where your education was done and which POE you intend on using.

Quebec has a different educational system from the rest of Canada which complicates things.

My opinion is getting a new evaluation stating that your education is equivalent to a 4 year Canadian degree (or US) is better then a 3 year Quebec degree. I would spend the $100-200 then risk being turned around. Anytime you’re denied it will be recorded and it’s not unusual that each subsequent admission is subject to more questioning.

Hi, Zuccaro do you think you can give me a hand here:

1) I am planning to apply for TN as a Computer Systems Analyst. Is a 3 year bachello's degree in computer science enough? (because I read and read and I didnt find anywhere the quantity of years if it has to be 3 or 4..)

2) Quebec gave me a 3 year bacherllo's degree in computer science even if I studied a licenciatura (from Argentina) of 5 years.

3) Should I make the credential evaluation via WES US?

Carmen

In Ontario (and other provinces except Quebec) a 3 year degree isn’t enough, CBP officer will want to see a 4 year degree (With Honors). I Quebec a 3 year degree should be considered equivalent to a 4 year Ontario degree and a US 4 year degree.

You’ll also need your transcripts and English translation. The problem you may face is that all of this requires the inspecting officer to know and understand Quebec’s educational system on top of understanding documents issued from Argentina. If you put yourself in the place of the officer what are your chances of him/her making heads or tale of the whole thing?

If you get the right officer he/she might make a few calls to verify the information or accept your explanation. Another officer might simply say, your evidence isn’t convincing you are refused. If you have a letter from WES simply stating that you have the US equivalent you’ll save the officer a whole lot of thinking. The idea is to make every TN application a “No brainer”.

Thank you very much for the information. Is there any organization within the WES that can provide a RELIABLE (means Homeland Security will not chanllenge the evaluation) credential evaluation and I can send COPIES of my diploma & transcripts? I only have one original of each and my concern is that many of them require originals but I dont want to let them go...

In the case of WES you don’t send your originals. You must ask the educational intuition (in Argentina) to send the document directly to WES and you send translations. However their turn around is within a couple of weeks.

I know that some will use Comparative Education Service of the University of Toronto for their TN application. I think they accept copies.

You can Google around. I used WES because it’s well known by USCIS.

You have a CS degree and if you intend on applying under the Compute System Analyst (CSA) category it’s straight forward. A Document-by-document evaluation is probably all you’ll need.

Also you should consider having your application documents reviewed by a competent attorney.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone can recommend a US immigration attorney residing here in Montreal?

Carmen

Very few (I mean almost none) of the attorney in Canada can practice US law. To practice US law you must be licensed in the US. I’ve seen some big firms in T.O. that are associated with US firms.

You don’t need to SEE an attorney, what you want is have an attorney review your documents and give you advice. A fax and a phone, a couple emails and a credit card are all you need.

Any “avocat de Montréal” will take your money. I think you’ll get more bang for you buck with a US attorney that specializes in US immigration and that is very experienced in TN’s.

Attorney regularly charge $1-5k to prepare a TN application. Reviewing an application probably take less then an hour (figure $100-200/hour). You do the math…

The border officer will probably take 5 minutes to look everything over and decide if you’re getting your TN.

i am from montreal what is wes

[hi there i amfrom montreal i just arrived

Anyone can recommend a US immigration attorney residing here in Montreal?

Carmen[/QUOTE]