no seal on my certificate of citizenship

thpinky

I am 17 years old and i went to get my passport with my mom today, she already have hers long ago. When i went to make my passport, they told me that there was no seal on my certificate of citizenship, i looked at my mom and my sister certificate, and they both have an embossed seal over their picture but mine doesn't. I need to make my passport and i don't know who to contact to get the seal on my certificate of citizenship. Please help me, i just want to know who i need to contact to get a seal on my certificate of citizenship. Thank you.

I'd suggest that you call up the USCIS office where you went to get your 'Certificate of Citizenship', and seek their advise. ( I'm not sure if anyone without a open active case (N400/N600 etc) can open a INFOPASS, so be sure to ask the USCIS office when u call on how to do so , as you currently do not have a open active case with USCIS once they processed ur N600. Again, I may be mistaken here ... so ask around.)

Your mother most likely has a 'Certificate of Naturalization' Certificate, while the children have the CoC. But, anyhow all of these do have a embossed HomeLand Security Stamp that partly covers the photo and the document.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schedule an Infopass at your local DO to sort it out. No need to have an active case open to schedule an Infopass.

In the meantime, you can probably apply for your passport using your mom's documents and your birth certificate.
That is if he still has a GC in his possession.

On a side note, the USCIS started issuing new types of certificates with printed digital photo. Do they still put a raised seal over this photo? It kind of eliminates the reason for doing that.

On a more side note, I have already voiced my opinion that the USCIS should do away with issuing traditionally-looking big paper certificates. Nobody is going to frame it and hang it on the wall, for God's sake! :D A new credit sized citizenship card with laser-imprinted picture, signature and bio information along with other up-to-date tamper-resistant features should be issued to newly naturalised citizens and to any other citizen who requests it. Just like Canadian citizenship certificate but not with 1980's security features :p

That is if he still has a GC in his possession.

On a side note, the USCIS started issuing new types of certificates with printed digital photo. Do they still put a raised seal over this photo? It kind of eliminates the reason for doing that.

On a more side note, I have already voiced my opinion that the USCIS should do away with issuing traditionally-looking big paper certificates. Nobody is going to frame it and hang it on the wall, for God's sake! :D A new credit sized citizenship card with laser-imprinted picture, signature and bio information along with other up-to-date tamper-resistant features should be issued to newly naturalised citizens and to any other citizen who requests it. Just like Canadian citizenship certificate but not with 1980's security features :p

I am also curious about the new Natz Certs w/digital photos and IF they even need seals. On the other hand, tech savvy folks would make fake certificates even easier without the seal. As for CoC, I don't know if those are issued with the digital photos yet, and the there are replacement certs, too.

As for doing away with cert and issuing cards...it seems like a political decision as well as a public relations issue. I won't express an opinion on that one way or the other.

thanks for helping. I scheduled an infopass appointment online. I hope they can get this fix soon, i'm kinda mad that im the unlucky one, my mom and my sister both got their seal and my sister got it the same way and the same time as me.

Yeah those certificates are cumbersome and annoying to store. However, with or without a digitised photo, a raised seal should always be there. My name-change certificate has one, as do most legal documents here and abroad, including many passport pages with visas on them.

The Canadian one is definitely a good size.

On the subject of new Redesiged Certificate of Naturalization .... ( It is my understanding that USCIS may embark on redesigning the Certificate of Citizenship also, but is not comitting a completion date.)

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=a024d766a29eb210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Q4. When will USCIS issue the security-enhanced naturalization certificates?A4. USCIS will begin using redesigned certificates at all offices beginning today. USCIS offices in Atlanta, Denver and Baltimore will begin to utilize the automated production process this week, including digitizing photos and signatures on all certificates. USCIS will deploy the automated production system agency-wide by the end of the calendar year.

Q5. Following the agency-wide transition to the new document, will all new citizens receive redesigned naturalization certificates with digitized photos?A5. While all new citizens will receive the redesigned, security-enhanced certificate, certain, limited categories of naturalization candidates, including overseas military and homebound candidates, will receive documents with hard-copy photos affixed to their certificates

Q9. Will USCIS update any of its other certificates?A9. Yes. USCIS intends to digitize its other citizenship-related certificates, but no completion dates have been set.

Last edited by a moderator: