No name on the indian birth certificate

gcforspouse

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I have my original birth certificate in hindi from India. Since at the time of birth, the name wasn't decided, the name part was left blank on the birth certificate. Now the question is can I use that certificate at all?? What will be the best step forward??

I am sure there are other people in the same situation as me. Please help.

The nameless birth certificate can be used but additionally you will need 2 notarized affidavits from parents or close relatives who were aware of your birth. Since original BC is in Hindi, you will also need a certified translation (A notary proficient in Hindi and English can provide the translation).

The nameless birth certificate can be used but additionally you will need 2 notarized affidavits from parents or close relatives who were aware of your birth. Since original BC is in Hindi, you will also need a certified translation (A notary proficient in Hindi and English can provide the translation).

thanks for the response. Actually something is scribbled for the name, that no one knows what it is. Neither my parents nor myself ...

Translator agreed to put my correct name in the English translation. Is that OK? Or should it be marked as "Not legible"?

Either way I will accompany with two affidavits? Is there a format for it?

Can you request another copy of your birth certificate? Might involve a trip to the place of birth by one of your relatives. That will clear up the scribbled name issue. If you cannot, you can get the translation marked "Not legible" for your name. It will also help if you can provide old school records or government document like ration card which has your full name and your (at least one) parents' names.

Affidavits don't have a standard format, they should include the names, age/DOB and address and of the person signing the affidavit and their relationship to you. That person should state under oath that he/she is aware that you were born to your parents (their full names should be listed) on such and such date in such and such place. Each affidavit should be drawn on a Non Judicial stamp paper (either Rs 50 or Rs 100, whichever is the minimum now) and notarized by a local notary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you request another copy of your birth certificate? Might involve a trip to the place of birth by one of your relatives. That will clear up the scribbled name issue. If you cannot, you can get the translation marked "Not legible" for your name. It will also help if you can provide old school records or government document like ration card which has your full name and your (at least one) parents' names.

Affidavits don't have a standard format, they should include the names, age/DOB and address and of the person signing the affidavit and their relationship to you. That person should state under oath that he/she is aware that you were born to your parents (their full names should be listed) on such and such date in such and such place. Each affidavit should be drawn on a Non Judicial stamp paper (either Rs 50 or Rs 100, whichever is the minimum now) and notarized by a local notary.

I grabbed the template from immihelp.com. Now question is do I need two affidavits:
1. From Father
2. From mother

OR
1. From parents - common affidavit from parents
2. From Uncle.

Of course, I prefer the first option, one from my father and one from my mother.

And also I am thinking that in the english translation document, I can keep my name instead of saying "not legible" and also attach two affidavits and School 10th class certificate.