No Marriage Certificate- Applying I-130 for my father only as my mom passed away a few years back

kilukily

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

The discussions on this forum regarding the process to apply for a green card for my father have been very very helpful
I just have only one question. When my parents got married in 1970, they did not have a marriage certificate.
Now what are my options to prove my father is my father considering my mother has passed away?

I have the following documents
1.0 my mom's old passport showing my father's name as her husband
2.0 my birth certifcate showing both their names
3.0 Bank account in both their names before she passed away

Would any of the above document help? What else can I use to substantiate my case

Thanks allot for reading this and your advise
Regards

Where did they get married? Perhaps you could call/visit that city office and ask for a copy of the records. Or if a church performed the ceremony and has a record, try calling them for help maybe?

Update

Could you update on what happened? I am also in the same boat trying to get a marriage certificate for my dad

I had a question. Why do you need the marriage certificate? I applied for my mother, my father died long back.

My birth certificate shows both my father and mother's name.

Also do we need the death certificate?

Marriage certificate is needed for the father as evidence of paternity. If parents are married at the time of birth, legally the husband is presumed to be the father. The marriage certificate is less important for the mother because there is rarely any doubt who is the mother.

Without a marriage certificate, you will need other evidence to establish paternity, like child support payments or a DNA test.

Hi

I have similar situation for my father, no marriage certificate, mother has passed away.
Was documents you mentioned were sufficient in place of marriage certificate.

Thanks in advance

-Regards

Hi,

The discussions on this forum regarding the process to apply for a green card for my father have been very very helpful
I just have only one question. When my parents got married in 1970, they did not have a marriage certificate.
Now what are my options to prove my father is my father considering my mother has passed away?

I have the following documents
1.0 my mom's old passport showing my father's name as her husband
2.0 my birth certifcate showing both their names
3.0 Bank account in both their names before she passed away

Would any of the above document help? What else can I use to substantiate my case

Thanks allot for reading this and your advise
Regards

Any update on what documents are sufficient in place of marriage certificate for father, when mom has passed away.

I appreciate any reply.

Regards

Could you update on what happened? I am also in the same boat trying to get a marriage certificate for my dad

If they were officially married, it should be possible to get a marriage certificate issued by the government of the town/state/country where the marriage was registered. Even if the marriage was decades ago.