NO college education for asylum seekers why?

pepsico

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys i just want to know if that's true that even though you are an asylum seekr with EAD card you cannot attain college or be eligible to apply for residency.If someone has a clue on this please share.I appreaciate that.

Asylum seekers are considered non immigrants. You can attend College but you will have to pay the expensive out of state fee. I don't know about the visa status requirements. Also, every college have their own residency requirements. So you have to inquire with the College you are interested in attending. Once you have received your asylum, you are eligible for residency fee if you meet the residency requirements, financial aid, student loans among other benefits.

Asylum seekers are considered non immigrants. You can attend College but you will have to pay the expensive out of state fee. I don't know about the visa status requirements. Also, every college have their own residency requirements. So you have to inquire with the College you are interested in attending. Once you have received your asylum, you are eligible for residency fee if you meet the residency requirements, financial aid, student loans among other benefits.

Yea but what is strange is that most colleges don't accept asylum applicants,they consider them illegals and thus cannot enroll them since as an asylum applicant you have no visa status but you are just an asylum applicant

Yea but what is strange is that most colleges don't accept asylum applicants,they consider them illegals and thus cannot enroll them since as an asylum applicant you have no visa status but you are just an asylum applicant

Yes. It is true that as an asylum seeker, you do not have any direct status. Most if not all state colleges in the US will inquire your status before enrolling you as a student. They are required by law to identify the status of all their students. So as an asylum seeker, you are in the country under the discretion ICE, but you do not have a direct status that the colleges can use to enter your details and background information. Colleges require that you are either a citizen, Green card holder or international student. So you don't fall under any on this list. However i have seen some people register as international students... Remember how expensive it is... As for the private colleges, that a different debate. they at time enroll all student as long as you have a state ID and a SSN.

Waz!

I was going to College as an asylee applicant. I had to pay international fees ($300 per unit) even-though I was granted I wasnt able to get resident fee because YOU MUST BE LIVING HERE,LEGALY ,FOR ONE YEAR...so I was able to pay resident fees after a year.

Hey guys i just want to know if that's true that even though you are an asylum seekr with EAD card you cannot attain college or be eligible to apply for residency.If someone has a clue on this please share.I appreaciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

It depends on which college you would like to attend. Some colleges treat asylum seekers as international students while some others consider them domestic. It is best to inquire from the college admissions office the information on how you would be ranked. Also, because people with asylum seeking "pending" status are so rare, some colleges do not have any policies on how to process them in terms of residency. But most colleges do require at least one year physical residency in the state that college is situated in order to accept you as a resident. If you meet that physical residency requirement, some even accept a Notice of Action or Notice of Appeal to consider you a domestic student/resident for tuition purposes.

Thank you Mercier and Gandrud,

I have known something new by reading your posts. I believe I will look around for college requirements and see if I could join one of those as I await the tedious and long immigration processing times.

Waz!

august aslum application

Can anyone help me with the processing times for applications for asylum in texas , i recently did mine and i havent got a reply if they received the application , help pliz

I am an asylum seeker in Virginia and my daughter is also on my application.I was informed today by the local community college that my daughter as per USCIS guidelines is not eligible for full time admission as her visa status is still considered B1/B2. Asylum seeker is not considered eligible for college admission by them. had been trying to qualify for in state tuition since we have been in statefor last 3 years and paying taxes. She has secured very good GPA and SAT scores and got admission from Radford as well as Virginia Tech universities. But we could not afford the out of state fee so we decided to opt for community college for some time and then get the credits transferred but today I am being informed that she might be denied to get education.
Regards
Amit

I am an asylum seeker in Virginia and my daughter is also on my application.I was informed today by the local community college that my daughter as per USCIS guidelines is not eligible for full time admission as her visa status is still considered B1/B2. Asylum seeker is not considered eligible for college admission by them. had been trying to qualify for in state tuition since we have been in statefor last 3 years and paying taxes. She has secured very good GPA and SAT scores and got admission from Radford as well as Virginia Tech universities. But we could not afford the out of state fee so we decided to opt for community college for some time and then get the credits transferred but today I am being informed that she might be denied to get education.
Regards
Amit

Read what UC Berkeley says about their B1/B2 visa AKA 'Visitor for Business' Visa. Typically these visas are issued as joint B-1 business visit visa and B-2 'Visitor for Pleasure' (i.e. Tourist) visa. https://internationaloffice.berkeley.edu/b-1_b-2

University of WA in Seattle interprets this way https://registrar.washington.edu/st...uction-for-non-resident-refugees-and-asylees/ so each college in different states has its own domicile requirements example Students are on an A, E, G, H, I, K, or L can apply for Washington State residency for tuition if they meet the Domicile law. But most colleges do require at least one year physical residency in the state that college is situated in order to accept you as a resident.

Thank you Mercier and Gandrud,

I have known something new by reading your posts. I believe I will look around for college requirements and see if I could join one of those as I await the tedious and long immigration processing times.

Waz!
Hellooooo, did you finally get into school?