NJ DMV refusing to accept foreign passport

melmel34

NJ 6 points of ID

Hello,

I am an F1 student on post-completion OPT. When I brought all necessary documents to the DMV they said they no longer accept foreign passports and told me that I am "not a student anymore because I graduated" even though I have my I-20 with the post OPT dates listed, with an EAD, my VISA, and my passport. Nothing is expired. They also asked stuff that's not even part of the 6 points of ID, like a health insurance card. I know they're just being ridiculous but what do I do when they won't accept a passport as a form of identification? Anybody run into similar issue, same or different states?

Thank you.

tinaina

Go to another secretary of state . Some other part of the city. They should accept your passport. If they don't, tell them you want to see a supervisor. And talk to supervisor.

Jbuff

NJ 6 points of ID

Hello,

I am an F1 student on post-completion OPT. When I brought all necessary documents to the DMV they said they no longer accept foreign passports and told me that I am "not a student anymore because I graduated" even though I have my I-20 with the post OPT dates listed, with an EAD, my VISA, and my passport. Nothing is expired. They also asked stuff that's not even part of the 6 points of ID, like a health insurance card. I know they're just being ridiculous but what do I do when they won't accept a passport as a form of identification? Anybody run into similar issue, same or different states?

Thank you.
Just try a different location.

I live in NJ. If one person told you that at a particualr location. Don't waste your time asking for a supervisor. Just find a different location.

melmel34

Just try a different location.

I live in NJ. If one person told you that at a particualr location. Don't waste your time asking for a supervisor. Just find a different location.

Any location recommendations? Also, I called them and they said the same thing: "They won't accept your student VISA if you are no longer a student". DMV can't seem to grasp the fact that there is a thing called post completion OPT. Seems like I won't be able to drive.

melmel34

Thank you. Does anybody have any experience applying for a license or non-driver's ID while on post completion OPT? Because DMV keeps denying me and USCIS is telling me that it's up to the DMV.

tinaina

Thank you. Does anybody have any experience applying for a license or non-driver's ID while on post completion OPT? Because DMV keeps denying me and USCIS is telling me that it's up to the DMV.
I was able to renew my driver license while I was on post opt twice. But I don't live in California.