newspaper story of an asylee who cannot get a license in Texas

Such an annoying thing... he passed the painful asylum case and the long name check of course... then tries to adjust to the new life... now the Texas Department of Public Safety is a new obstacle to him !!!

I feel sad for him specially after he bought his Camry

That is what happens when you ask state officials to enforce something as complex as immigration law.

Is it hard for them to consider his I-94 as a prove for his immigration status ! I think it's a bad move from Texas DPS... or maybe they liked to complicate things and make it more complex than they are by this new Oct 1 policy

This is a lesson for all immigrants. DON'T LIVE IN TEXAS. It's the worst state in the U.S. Get out as quickly as you can. Move to California or the Northeast, where people are sane and the laws are compassionate towards immigrants.

In fact asylees don't really have any reliable document to prove their status, which is very annoying.

I-94 is a simple paper, not plastic, and Work permit or RTD expire in one year. I remember having trouble to get the DL fot my son.

Yah, they could give asylees a special ID card, no? But forget that, they have to tell all agencies that an INDEFINITE I-94 is good enough. No expiration date? IT'S FREAKING INDEFINITE!!!!!

Yah, they could give asylees a special ID card, no?

and fill a new USCIS form for this card and do biometrics for it? No thanks
Being differentiated from other residents by an asylee card is not a good idea

I-94 is a credential card and should be enough for the Texas DPS, the article is indicating some new Oct 1 policy