Newbie Citizenship question (timelines, marriage etc)

outletvolt1

Registered Users (C)
I am returning to immigrationportal after 4 years now. This forum has been so wonderful that without help of its participants, I wouldn't have received my green-card 4 years back. So I am starting on a journey to file for a citizenship and had few questions.

1. Do processing times differ depending upon service center to which I apply? I live in San Jose, CA but thinking of moving to Seattle, WA. Would it make difference in processing times?

2. Is it true that San Jose, CA processing times are so fast that people are receiving their citizenship within 3 months based on the latest trends?

3. I am engaged to a girl who is on H1B but we are thinking of waiting to get married until I get my citizenship. Is this is a problem to prove the legality of the marriage if I marry her AFTER I get citizenship and then file for her greencard?

I cannot comment on (1) and (2). Check forum for details from other users who are in that DO.

Regarding (3): I am not sure how legality of marriage has anything to do with your citizenship. You will need a concrete proof of marriage whenever you are going to file her permanent residency papers. Btw, her green card process will be much easier if you are citizen compare to you being a PR.

I am returning to immigrationportal after 4 years now. This forum has been so wonderful that without help of its participants, I wouldn't have received my green-card 4 years back. So I am starting on a journey to file for a citizenship and had few questions.

1. Do processing times differ depending upon service center to which I apply? I live in San Jose, CA but thinking of moving to Seattle, WA. Would it make difference in processing times?

2. Is it true that San Jose, CA processing times are so fast that people are receiving their citizenship within 3 months based on the latest trends?

3. I am engaged to a girl who is on H1B but we are thinking of waiting to get married until I get my citizenship. Is this is a problem to prove the legality of the marriage if I marry her AFTER I get citizenship and then file for her greencard?

For (1) and (2), check out USCIS website on "processing times" but keep in mind actual processing time are much shorter than those posed by USCIS.
If you want procesing time from real applicants, there are many thread in this forum. JUst do a reaearch using keyword "timeline"

I cannot comment on (1) and (2). Check forum for details from other users who are in that DO.

Regarding (3): I am not sure how legality of marriage has anything to do with your citizenship. You will need a concrete proof of marriage whenever you are going to file her permanent residency papers. Btw, her green card process will be much easier if you are citizen compare to you being a PR.

His reasoning are: if they marry now, the USCIS will think the girl marry him not because he is a citizen because he is not right now. But if they marry after he get citizenship, the USCIS may think the girl marry because she want to marry a citizen inorder to get a GC.

Regarding #1. If you move, you have live at the new place for atleast 3 months before you can apply for N400. I am not 100% sure about the duration for read something related to this.

Not a problem.

This kind of fear may look reasonable, but reality is beyond that. Normally individual either wait for citizenship to file spouse immigrant petition (or upgrade the petition if originally filled as PR spouse), and majority of the cases are approved by USCIS.

My point is: If marriage is real and one provides all supporting documents/facts (joint account, tax papers, kids from marriage, utility bills, same address etc.), I see no reason for USCIS to doubt and USCIS will approve her case.

His reasoning are: if they marry now, the USCIS will think the girl marry him not because he is a citizen because he is not right now. But if they marry after he get citizenship, the USCIS may think the girl marry because she want to marry a citizen inorder to get a GC.

No. But if you're going to wait to do anything, get married soon and then wait to complete a couple years of marriage before you file for her GC. That way, you will have accumulated more evidence of a genuine marriage, and upon approval she will directly get a 10-year green card as a result of being married to you for 2 years, instead of a 2-year conditional green card.

1 and 2. Check the processing times. Every DO has different processing times. Sometimes in processing times for one of the DO can be changed without the notice.

3. Why can't she file on her own to obtain a gc thru employer since she is on H1?